starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running forum and books?

Default Running forum and books?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,

Basically I want to start training running(and help out friends). No, i'm not hopping programs or being unhappy with strength training (still making LP and pretty happy with it).

I'm 18, injury-free and very handsome.
    I want to start first by learning about running form, shoes, etc. that's no BS and to make an efficient program to make it work.
    The plan is to sneak in some HIIT for work capacity, then start doing some 5k or 10k race-specific *conditioning* when I milked out all my novice gainzZz and some more on the squat.

I reckon one of the best way to do this is similar to approaching strength training, read one of the most famous books and then hop on to the forum, but I will admit I do not know much, so if anyone can enlighten me, I will be very glad.

The goal is to win local 5km or 10km next year. God forbid, I know you guys don't like the 21km event, since that shit hurt strength gainzZz, but that's one cool thing. I might encounter some track n fields athletes, but I want to win.

Any warnings are welcome. I'm learning everyday. Will give squatting higher priority, but that's probably NOT the case with my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig23 View Post
    Any warnings are welcome.
    You're in your anabolic golden years for the next 5-7 years.

If I could go back in time & re-live these years, I'd bias all my training to strength (get those myonuclei in place now & benefit for the rest of your life).

Run later

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

If I could go back in time & re-live these years
    I'm giving it very serious thought. I'm young so i'm trying to understand the wisdom of older guys and coaches like you.

Still, I want to learn about running. Maybe not actually doing long runs, but knowing running and doing HIIT is all nice (right? wrong?).

And I still have to play the fit guy everyone turn to for advices though.
    (getting runners friend to squat is on my agenda)

I would recommend the book FIT to you by Justin Lascek. You can see how to set up a running program to conducive to your goals.

I agree with Coach Hanley btw though.

Another option to keep it simple is to just look up the Couch to 5k program. Many people have had success with it.

Lol you're a funny guy, Ludwig. By the way, solid squats on that form check in the other thread!
    I think you might like Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels, it's nowhere nearly as biblical as Starting Strength, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig23 View Post
    Still, I want to learn about running. Maybe not actually doing long runs, but knowing running and doing HIIT is all nice (right? wrong?).
    Yeah man. Learn everything you can about running. I wish I knew more about the mechanics & approaches to training different distances.

Also, I'm not suggesting you lift to the exclusion of cardio...I'm just urging you to get strong beyond "intermediate" before you commit to distance running (if you're actually a really competitive 5-10K runner disregard this advice & make running a priority).

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

If I could go back in time & re-live these years, I'd bias all my training to strength (get those myonuclei in place now & benefit for the rest of your life).

Run later
    Agreed. Lift now, run later.

If you're just looking to learn about running, there's a lot of pretty great guys over on the minimalist runner forum. They would be glad to help point you in the right direction.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/huaraches

The only people that win any running race over 5k are skinny weak fuckers. If you can win, you are one or the runners in the race are shit. I'm 21kg heavier than when I ran.

starting strength coach development program
    Daniels Running Formula, also Chi Running Danny Dreyer, you can ignore the mystic east stuff in it, bit he's very sound on technique and training plans.

Primarily Daniels. He is kind of the Rip of running, especially note his comments on intervals and repeats.

The guys who lead my local 5K are mostly rugby player and built like tanks. The course record is something like sixteen minutes four seconds, with mud and inclines.

Unless you are seriously genetically gifted or live in an area where nobody can run, your chances of winning a race in your first year are slim to none.

Runners' world has some sensible posters on their forums. It also has a fair proportion of keyboard warrior idiots who haven't a clue.

Ignore fads. Minimalist is a okay, but the number of new (first year) runners who take it up and then get injured is downright frightening. I do it myself, but not a lot and I really have to cut back, basically just for easy runs.

For shoes, go to a running shop where the owner has won a decent number of medals. Get something that fits and doesn't hurt you.

For advice, try a running coach, that is a coach who coaches running clubs or teams, not a personal trainer with a one day 'running technique'.

It's worth checking in to a running forum for the LOLs when a discussion on weight training comes up. Fifty push ups is considered a major feat, fifty push ups in one set is considered impossible.

HIIT is just plain horrible. Do some nice yoga instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast