starting strength gym

Thread: TM: What to do when I fail squats on intensity day

Default TM: What to do when I fail squats on intensity day

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi coaches,

I am still getting used to TM and have only able to get 3 reps at my weight instead of five. What should I do on those days? Go for another set of two or three or singles or do more sets and reps at lighter weights. I assume giving up after 3 reps is not ideal.

Age, height, starting weight and current weight, and BOTH starting and current weights in the 5 lifts, please. And how long you did/have been doing each phase of programming.

Hi Michael,

I am most interested in what to do in the general case more than why I am failing. I have a pretty good idea about that. I am sure everyone fails on intensity day at some point. What should one do in that case? Thanks.

What one should do depends on the individual circumstances of who one is and how one got there.

BUT, assuming one is doing everything else right, I like to bring things down to two triples or three doubles, add weight from there, and progress to five singles. My experience, however, has been that few people are doing everything else right.