starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to SS

Default New to SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am a 41 year old man. I’ve worked out for the last 22 years or so. My goal over these years was to stay in shape for my career as an Alabama State Trooper. After reading your book, the website and listening to podcasts I realize I have done it all wrong. I got fairly strong but I limited myself with too much cardio and not enough calories. My question is am I too old to begin the novice program and how many calories should I eat? I’m 5’11 210 lbs with a 36” waist. I would like to stay a 36 due to the difficulty in getting new uniforms and gun belts from my department. Any help is much appreciated.

Whether you should do the novice progression is discussed on pages 292-295 of the book. Your investment in uniforms and gunleather will pale in comparison to the time, food, and attention you will have paid into the program before the new equipment is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtaylor918 View Post
    I’m 5’11 210 lbs with a 36” waist. I would like to stay a 36 due to the difficulty in getting new uniforms and gun belts from my department. Any help is much appreciated.
    As for gun belts, there are companies that sell hole punches for leather belts.

Which works fine if you're losing weight.

My uniforms and equipment are issued and it’s hard to get new ones. I’m not concerned about gaining weight as long as I don’t get a bigger waist. I guess I’m hung up on the years of lifting and then going running to try to keep my weight down. Proper nutrition has always been an issue as well. It’s been years since I’ve done a true program I’ve just bounced around.

This is going to be a problem. If you go from 210 to 245, with a 550 SQ/625 DL, like you should, your waist will increase. The only thing running will prevent is your getting stronger. They will just have to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is going to be a problem. If you go from 210 to 245, with a 550 SQ/625 DL, like you should, your waist will increase. The only thing running will prevent is your getting stronger. They will just have to understand.
    Seems like a pretty fair trade off. 550 SQ/625 DL vs requesting a new uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Seems like a pretty fair trade off. 550 SQ/625 DL vs requesting a new uniform.
    Absolutely a fair trade. I just don't want to screw my diet up because I can't get my nutrition right and all I end up doing is getting fat without making the strength gains to balance it out.

How do you plan on getting fat while you get your squat and deadlift up to 550/625? The Donut Diet? Don't do that.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtaylor918 View Post
    Absolutely a fair trade. I just don't want to screw my diet up because I can't get my nutrition right and all I end up doing is getting fat without making the strength gains to balance it out.
    As long as your eating a ton, the strength will come despite of the diet. Now if you want to minimize the fat intake that will mean some discipline on your part to not eat shitty foods and cut down on the beer. Think large qty's of home made type of meals and you'll be fine. Stop running. The large volume of squatting alone will give you wind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast