starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is easier to attain: A BW press or a BW snatch?

Default What is easier to attain: A BW press or a BW snatch?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I know this might sound stupid, but this has just been at the back of my mind for a while and I've been planning to ask for ages.

I just wants to know, whats easier. A BW standing military press or a BW snatch from the floor?

I have no intetntion of snatch training, I was just wondering.

I think it's easier to have the strength/power for a BW snatch, but it's the technique that's going to be the challenge. Seems to me to be a pretty tough comparison to make. So, if I had to guess, I would probably say that the press is more challenging. Smarter people might disagree.

If you look at results in the 60s, for high-level athletes, the clean and press was usually stronger than the snatch. But, there have been revolutions in snatch technique (note that their snatches were typically less than 80% of the clean and jerk, while most high level athletes do better (don't bring out exceptions, because I know there are plenty)) and press technique back then was very loosely judged. Based on raw squat numbers, I have enough brute strength to snatch bodyweight, but am nowhere near a bodyweight press. I'm also nowhere near a bodyweight snatch. I think if you're a big guy, they'll both be very hard, press might be easier. If you're a pretty small guy, I think snatch might be easier. In the middle, snatch might be easier.

I have basically zero experience snatching, but it seems to me that asking which of these is "harder" is a problematic question. These two lifts are very different, and excelling at them requires different talents. So I think genetics will play a role in determining which of these two accomplishments is easier for any given lifter.

I had a body-weight competition PR snatch of 105kg at a body-weight of 104kg, and it took me about 2 years of serious training to get it (albeit the training was percentage based after the initial learning period of a few months and not the one advocated by Rip, which may be much quicker). I have a 165lb press PR (5x3), after 3 months of SS.

From that I would say that a bodyweight Press may may be harder to attain, given the nature of the movements, and the smaller muscle mass involved relative to the snatch.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    If you look at results in the 60s, for high-level athletes, the clean and press was usually stronger than the snatch. But, there have been revolutions in snatch technique (note that their snatches were typically less than 80% of the clean and jerk, while most high level athletes do better (don't bring out exceptions, because I know there are plenty)) and press technique back then was very loosely judged. Based on raw squat numbers, I have enough brute strength to snatch bodyweight, but am nowhere near a bodyweight press. I'm also nowhere near a bodyweight snatch. I think if you're a big guy, they'll both be very hard, press might be easier. If you're a pretty small guy, I think snatch might be easier. In the middle, snatch might be easier.
    Are you talking about Push or Military Press?

Quote Originally Posted by willhu12 View Post
    Are you talking about Push or Military Press?
    Well, the Overhead Press. Not the Military Press. Military actually refers to a standing press where-in the heels are together, not the shoulder-ish width of a regular Overhead Press. And the push press would get disqualified if performed when doing a clean & press.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Well, the Overhead Press. Not the Military Press. Military actually refers to a standing press where-in the heels are together, not the shoulder-ish width of a regular Overhead Press. And the push press would get disqualified if performed when doing a clean & press.
    Oh, I use the terms overhead, military and "press" interchangably. Sorry if that's not correct.

As for C&P I thought that it was a PP, becuase the PP is an oly lift.

Quote Originally Posted by willhu12 View Post
    becuase the PP is an oly lift.
    No, I don't believe it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    No, I don't believe it is.
    It's not a currently contested oly lift, but it was a few years ago - so it used to be three lifts in competition as opposed to two. So to me, it's an olympic STYLE lift, but not an olympic COMPETITION lift. I belive this was because form was becoming harder and harder to judge.

So I always think of it as on oly style lift, like I do with the high pull.

EDIT: OK, maybe it was about 40 years ago
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_press
    Last edited by willhu12; 08-21-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast