starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbbell bench vs barbell bench

Default Dumbbell bench vs barbell bench

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I can't say for certain but i'm sure i've read somewhere in SS that dumbbell bench is more effective than supine I think because of a greater ROM and the strengthening of stabiliser muscles and so is an acceptable substitute.
    I'm not at home right now and won't be until tonight so can't check anytime soon to be sure. And this question has been bugging me all morning.

And my training partner is very unreliable. Although SS is more of a solo programme for me and gives good advice to do it this way, my bench press is very weak and my arms sometimes just completely give up and tend to come crashing down. So we basically spot each other on the bench, that's about it. But he does a very bad job at that.

So would it be practical to substitute BB for DB on the bench?

Thanks
    Last edited by Age_of_Aquarius; 09-09-2010 at 05:43 AM.

The problem is that fixed dumbells usually move in 5-10 pound increments so its hard to make incremental progress. Does your gym have a rack? if so just bench in that.

Stick with barbell bench for 2 reasons:
    a) The program specifies to use a BB
    b) BB is superior because you can lift more weight with it, more weight equals more strength.

as stated above,bench in the rack if necessary

The larger jumps make DB's difficult to work with. Also once they get real heavy, just getting into position becomes problematic. Learn to bench solo. I bench in a rack. If this is not practical you will need to be conservative during your worksets in order to avoid having the bench crashing down on you. Don't use collars so you can dump the weights to one side if you get pinned.

I'm not taking a stance on this issue because I have no idea, but the reasons against are pretty lame... so what if you CAN make 2.5lb jumps and you always have someone to help you get the weights up? Pros/Cons?

The barbell is going to be your best friend for the program, however the dumbbell is useful too.

If you are training for hypertrophy, I think the dumbbell bench is better. It allows a fuller range of motion and peak contraction.

I train my limit strength with the barbell and use the DB for accessory hypertrophy work.

As Iron Steve said, for Starting Strength you want to be lifting as much weight as possible. This sends a stronger signal to the central nervous system that you need to build more muscle. Use the barbell for now, and switch to dumbells if you feel like it in a few months.

Dumbbell bench should be a very good substitute for the barbell bench, as long as you understand the limitations. As noted, you typically won't be able to microload it, and it can be a hassle lying down and getting back up. When the dumbbells get heavy, you can easily dislocate a shoulder if you're not careful. But other than those, I don't buy the argument that you have to do it with a barbell just because the program specifies for it. Depending on your situation, there could be good reasons to use dumbbells instead.

I've just recently started benching in a rack, and I've found just the right pin settings that let them spot me without getting in the way. It's smooth sailing from there if your gym has racks with holes at the right heights. No more asking broseph to help get in your way.

I quite like the rack idea, but let me get this straight since i'm a bit of newb - If using the rack do I lower the safety pins so they are just above my chest height?

I think all the same principles mentioned here should probably apply to dumbbell presses too.

starting strength coach development program
    AoA, just below your chest height. Your back it arched and you're holding a breath, so if you fail, you deflate and flatten and the barbell lands on the bars.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast