starting strength gym

Thread: So I just took a month off...

Default So I just took a month off...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    And it was AWESOME. I highly recommend it. But only if you need it, and boy did I need it. I was dealing with issues to both shoulders and I'm pretty sure I was overtrained due to recovery issues and undereating. Lifts were stagnating, I was tired and irritable all the time, etc...
    But that was then, this is now.

How do you guys think I should work back into things? I was thinking some ramping sets of 5 with an a/b split for a week or two and then moving to Dan John's Easy Strength program for 40 days to get my conditioning base back and then flowing back into my TM training program that includes conditioning.

What say you? I'm pretty open to suggestions.

-Hat

I'm still on LP, but I tried to come back from an amazing month off by going back to 80% of my pre-layoff worksets and I pulled something immediately. After two weeks of rest, super light squatting, stretching and some ART work, I worked the squat back up doing straight sets of 185, then 225, then 275, then 10lb jumps on my back back to 350. I was trying to ramp my sets when I got hurt, because my first set at 80% was easy. You probably know what you are doing, but were I to do it again I would probably take a week of big jumps (225, 275, 315 the first week for example) as the lack of progress for that one week is nothing if it means I don't get hurt.

As for the conditioning reentry, I haven't been as compelled by Easy Strength because I love the squat rack so much. But I bet it works as all of his stuff seems to.

Well, after a break you have regressed somewhat and have the potential of some novice gains again. So id suggest doing any form of simple linear progression.

If I remember correctly, PP has something in it about using just your old warm up sets as a full workout when you have missed some sessions. You could try this too I guess.

The bigger jumps on an LP model sound good. I'll probably do a warmup just to see how things feel and go from there.

I'm actually going with his Easier Strength that will have me Squatting, Pressing, Deadlifting, and then a prowler run or weighted carry. I'm thinking an 80lb sandbag should do the trick (cuz I'm a baller).

I'll see about making my first log (gasp!) when I go through it just so people here can have a reference to it.

-Hat

I'd definitely be interested in hearing about your progress with Easier Strength. Not having read the book, the excerpt mentioned something like a goblet squat to warm up, a push, a hinge, a loaded carry, and a small amount of ab work. Classic simple but not easy.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep! I don't have the book either buy Dan John posted an article detailing the specific "easier strength" program with varying rep ranges through the weeks. It looked fun, and seeing as how I can't bench atm it seemed like a decent conditioning primer that wouldn't be too taxing but still allow for a bunch of progress.

-Hat