starting strength gym

Thread: Working up to deadlift single to test (160lb 5 ft 10)

Default Working up to deadlift single to test (160lb 5 ft 10)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

I was doing the texas method for a bit a couple weeks ago, and I was just playing around wanting to work up to a single. I ended up working to 455, obviously I know form will not be super good at near max attempts, but I just wan't to know if my form was very very bad. These were just some tests and I was trying to gauge my strength. I am still quite skinny but I have gained some strength so far.

Streamable - free video publishing

Streamable - free video publishing

By the way the first video is 425, the second is 435

Hello
    I won't comment on the programming, but 455 at 160lb is pretty impressive. Now hurry up and get to 200lbs so you can pull 600
    You're setting up too far away, so the bar is well forward of midfoot and your hips are too low at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hello
    I won't comment on the programming, but 455 at 160lb is pretty impressive. Now hurry up and get to 200lbs so you can pull 600
    You're setting up too far away, so the bar is well forward of midfoot and your hips are too low at the start.
    Ok thanks. Ive been using hookgrip on all my working sets during Texas method, that's fine right?

Yes, it's normal for people to not have the grip strength to use double overhand on their work sets. As for your form, it's pretty clear looking at the bar path that you're starting with the bar too far out in front of the middle of your foot. I would also avoid exhaling at the top.