starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much soreness is too much?

Default How much soreness is too much?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've pretty much squatted 3 PRs in a row this week. Not a lot of weight, but a lot for me...

It's been almost 24 hours since I left the gym. My muscles seem ok, but my knees are screaming at me when I try to sit down. It's a situation where if I now do 10-20 body squats I'll be OK.

Right knee feels a bit swollen.....

Nope. Not going to beat the facts out of you. You other guys deal with this.

How much do you weigh? What programming are you using?
    Post the data from your last two workouts.

A video of you squatting heavy would be helpful, too. And did you just learn to squat recently?

What is your age?
    What was the weight you squatted? (in lbs or kg)

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    I've pretty much squatted 3 PRs in a row this week. Not a lot of weight, but a lot for me...

It's been almost 24 hours since I left the gym. My muscles seem ok, but my knees are screaming at me when I try to sit down. It's a situation where if I now do 10-20 body squats I'll be OK.

Right knee feels a bit swollen.....
    To answer your question with a series of questions:

Do you believe the "knee" to be a muscle?

Do you understand what we usually mean by the terms soreness and DOMS?

Do you think we can see your squats from here or somehow guess which stupid form error is causing your knee pain in the absence of a video?

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    To answer your question with a series of questions:

Do you believe the "knee" to be a muscle?

Do you understand what we usually mean by the terms soreness and DOMS?

Do you think we can see your squats from here or somehow guess which stupid form error is causing your knee pain in the absence of a video?

That is all.
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. No

It appears that the more weight I use, the more sore my knees become the next day. However, they are recovering nicely after about 24 hrs. After I posted my question, I did 15 body only squats in the breakroom and everything felt fine for a few hours.

It doesn't help that I worked an 8 hour shift at the factory standing up. I'm 62. This type of work brings tears to 20 somthings who try to keep up with me.

my metric is not how sore you are but how long it lasts. if less than 3 days you're ok. if it persists after 3 days you fucked up.

however this only applies to muscular pain. that swollen knees stuff is weird - never had that.

I workout with a guy that still powerlifts at 54. He also stands all day doing factory type work. Sometimes his knee gets swollen a little. Other than trying to maybe change your stance or form a little to put less stress on the knees, you can try to wear some looser wraps while squatting. He also wears the wraps (again loosely) at work when he is on his feet all day. Other than that, try a lot of ice too.

As for the form, it would be nice to see a vid of you squatting in a work set. Things like knee slide can really contribute to having sore knees (ask me how I know!). If you can go a little wider on the stance, sit back a tad, and push the knees out, that should change the knee angle a little in the bottom of the hole and could help too.

starting strength coach development program
    My knee is fine now. Since starting SS, it's been 100% better. They used to swell up almost every day. Now just for a few hours after a hard workout.

I also just quit my part time job at the factory. It was killing my back and knees and my health is more important.

Callador. Now that you mention it, my stance has been a bit narrow lately. I'm going to try to widen it a bit. Today is going to be my first time squatting 2 plates!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast