starting strength gym

Thread: Endemic Left/Right Imbalance

Default Endemic Left/Right Imbalance

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Thanks in advance,

As I have been getting stronger with SS I have noticed that I have a distinct imbalance between left and right in strength. I've known for some time that my left leg was stronger than my right (as I can do pistols on my left but not my right), but now I've noticed that imbalance in the shape of my traps when I look in the mirror.

I remember reading that as the weights go up the strength imbalance should correct itself, but I'm concerned the imbalance may be endemic because I broke my right femur when I was nine. I was told that it was virtually inevitable that my right leg would wind up slightly longer than my left and I'm concerned that this may be imbalancing the way my body deals with the weight (and hence prevent correction).

Is this an accurate assessment, or does your experience indicate otherwise?

If the problem doesn't correct on its own, how can I deal with it?

Normally, balanced training results in a balanced physique. When this does not happen, there was an imbalance in the training or there was an asymmetry in the body that could not be overcome by the training. I think your short leg is the most obvious thing to consider, and its effect on your technique may be profound. Marked asymmetry (everybody has very slight, usually unnoticeable, imbalances) needs to be addressed, and a shim for your shoe is the place to start.