starting strength gym

Thread: Advise on giving advise

Post Advise on giving advise

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    First off, thanks for everything you do. I have made great progress on the SS program.

At the gym, I always keep my head down and concentrate on my lifts. I usually just shake my head at some of the things I see people doing. But today I was asked something by a fellow gym member. He asked me if I would watch and make sure his knees did not go past his feet while he squated. Not wanting to possibly offend him I just said "ok".
    After unracking the bar, he took about a 8 inch stance, look directly at the ceiling, squated to around parallel and came back up. Around the third rep he almost fell back b/c he was concentrating on not moving he knees forward.

When it was over, I asked why he was worried about his knees going forward. I knew the answer. He said he read an article that it was bad for your knees to go past your feet, etc.

At this point what would you suggest I say if people ask? Try to explain the basics? Refer him to SS? Or nothing at all? I also know that telling someone how to lift at the gym can be a touchy subject.

Thanks for your help.

If he asks, tell him. You're officially Not Butting In if he asks for your spot or your opinion.

If someone personally asks your opinion, give it and be glad you can make a positive change in this weak world.
    When I'm training and I see someone who's giving squats or deads or presses an honest try, I always ?sk them if I may give them some advice (I always may). I always tell them about SS, I always tell them about the (Belgian) discussion board I partly moderate and the next week they often ask me to check their form.
    I don't suggest everyone should do this, but if someone asks you, he or she clearly wants to put up an honest effort and should be adviced.
    Together we c?n make a change.