starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: patella cartilage damaged-should I be squatting?

Default patella cartilage damaged-should I be squatting?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Mark,
    first of all thank you for the books!!! (I have SS 3ed, and PP)
    I'll try to keep it short.
    I am a novice lifter, 35y, 180 pounds (coming from 155).
    I hurt my knee 2 years ago, twisting it. The pain went away after a few days and I went on with my life.
    I started SS 5 months ago, and since a month my knee started hurting again, not when I squat, but when I stretch my leg all the way or do ATG squats (with bodyweight).
    I got an MRI. (I'll try to translate, since it's not in English) It reads: a deep 'crack' in the cartilage of the lateral retropatellar area (grade III out of IV), some shallow irregular damage to the cartilage in the medial area and type II chondropathia. All the rest is normal.
    My question (and I have searched the board, but the answers seem to vary and I want to make sure) is if I can keep squatting, or will it aggravate my condition?
    I currently squat 250lbs and it doesn't hurt when I squat, but my knees (both) feel somewhat sore the morning after a workout.
    I really want to keep squatting but I don't want to destroy my knees.
    Thanks in advance!

My approach to this injury would be to train through it, especially if it didn't hurt while loaded. You can get the load off your knees and onto your hips if you keep your shins vertical. But I'd be very interested in what caused the fissure.

Thank you for your response.
    I think the fissure was caused by making a twisting movement with my knee, while my foot remained 'locked' on the ground (while doing capoeira 2 years ago). I heard a cracking noise and it hurt pretty badly (but no swelling). After a couple of days, the pain went away, and I (foolishly) continued training capoeira 3x a week, often with mild pain when completely bending my knee (type ATG squat). I stopped capoeira six months ago, started SS soon after that.
    One month ago, my knee started hurting like I described in the post. I don't remember doing anything besides squatting that could have had an impact on my knee. Hence my question.
    I don't know if that answers your question.
    I am seeing a orthopedic surgeon in two weeks. I'll listen to what he has to say, but I won't let him operate if that's what he suggests, knowing that surgeons are eager to use their knifes.

I'm nearing the end of my lineair progression, and I plan to move on to TM. Is there anything I should change in the program to spare the knee?
    Do you think my knee can heal when I continue squatting, or is it something I'm going to have to live with from now on?
    Thanks!

Squatting would not have produced this injury. So it can probably heal as you squat if you are careful about your form.

I'll continue squatting then. Thanks for the response.

I damaged the cartilage on my lateral femoral condoyle and had an operation called autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI). They took cartilage and harvested it in the damaged area. I am about 4 months post-op and doing great. I have minimal swelling with exercise. I still can't run or jump for another 2 months while the cartilage hardens. I squatted 315lb last week with no problem. Based on my experience, squatting is no problem (I squatted for about 6 months after injury before surgery). Make sure you are using correct form. Running and jumping were what caused me problems.

I would definietly see what your options are. At your age, there are several things that can improve your quality of life. Just don't let any doctor perform surgery on it. My doc is one of the leaders in cartilage restoration, and it shows. I have spent the last year learning as much as possible about this, so let me know if you need anything else, or how to find a good doc.

Coach, you must be in a very good today... he says he has been doing SS for 5 months now, yet is only at a 250lb squat? as much as there might be something wrong with his knee, there sure is something wrong with his training...

@ Heints25: thank you for the response. I don't want any surgery all long as I can go on without it. It is reassuring to hear your story. Best of luck with your further revalidation. If I need further info, I will contact you.

@iamgmo : I know I am not progressing as 'prescribed', and I also know why. My question was not 'why am I not progressing faster or something like that'. I just asked Mark a question about something that worried me, and he gave me an answer without patronizing me, like you are trying to do. So, thanks to the coach, his answer was useful, yours is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Filiep View Post
    he gave me an answer without patronizing me, like you are trying to do. So, thanks to the coach, his answer was useful, yours is not.
    A pleasant change of pace, eh?

starting strength coach development program
    My only knee problems have been patellar tendinitis or "jumpers knee." Working through it was the only fix. Every type of rest and rehab that some doctors suggested were useless.

Your injury sounds a little different but the symptoms are similar so I thought I'd share. Some people think "working through it" is hype, but more times than not on such issues, I've found that steady but reasonable work fixes things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast