starting strength gym

Thread: Bullet Injury and Squats

Default Bullet Injury and Squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Rip,

I'm a US Soldier who has departed back to the US after being shot in the leg during my duty in Iraq. The bullet entered through my hamstring and went out my quads. I was doing SS before my duty, and will continue to do it on my break....

Anyhow, every time I squat "heavy" or really push my self, I feel severe pain in my thigh through out the hamstrings and quads. I've also visited my doctor & chiropractor and both said "STOP SQUATTING". No, fuck that..I'm not going to stop squatting...Since I'm not going to stop squatting, should I just continue to squat light? How badly will this effect my linear progression? Should I incorporate any accessory work (such as single legged squats/speed skater squats)?

Thanks in advance!

I'd need to know about the affected structures. How much info do you actually have?

I did break my bone, apart from that I fully healed. This has lead to a case of hemorrhoids in lifting too...Particularly squatting. I've talked to the doctor about it, and he just mentions it to me as a "side affect". I don't believe he's giving me enough information, though I have a feeling he's trying to say "dont squat".

I might have exaggerated on the severe pain, but the pain is only bad when I squat heavy or weight that really challenges my potential.

I guess you can lead upon that. Maybe hemorrhoids.

So the soft tissue has healed but the femoral fracture is still painful. It has been my experience that the bone injury will be sound enough to train on heavy long before it quits hurting, which may take a couple of years. You didn't mention the time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So the soft tissue has healed but the femoral fracture is still painful. It has been my experience that the bone injury will be sound enough to train on heavy long before it quits hurting, which may take a couple of years. You didn't mention the time frame.
    I've looked over my records and soft tissue has healed. The fracture is healed too, but the pain is still there for an unknown reason. I've also noticed that a load of intra-abdominal pressure has lead to hemorroids too. Just another great reason why my squats are hurting me soo bad....What shall I resort to now Rip?

You just squat. It will hurt. I know this. Sorry.

take solace in your awesome user name, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You just squat. It will hurt. I know this. Sorry.
    I believe so your correct. Although I've talked to a few people here and there with the same problems as me..Most of them suggested definitely lowering the percentages of the weight I'm squatting, or in other words...Squat light. Would that be fine to do? I mean, how badly will it affect my linear progression?

BCAFF = Man

Hang in there buddy.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BicepCurlsAreForFags View Post
    I mean, how badly will it affect my linear progression?
    What? This is just arithmetic. You weren't shot in the head.