starting strength gym

Thread: Curing the "High School Football Clean"

Default Curing the "High School Football Clean"

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Rip,
    As a football coach and a big fan of strength training I was wondering if I could get your opinion on something. In the weight room a lot of kids do what I call the High School Football Clean, because its the clean you see in all high school weightrooms at some point: feet shoot straight out, straps, bar is caught on the chest as the player leans back to catch it, elbows low at the catch then pushed up as they ascend. Very similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUoHh8gupE (which I know is still ridiculously freakin strong). I am an assistant so I am not in charge of programming but the program calls for a Clean, and can be caught at any height. I am trying to teach the kids to do a Full Clean by teaching them to squat instead of shoot their feet out and bend their back backwards. Are there some cues you like to use to get rid of this habit? I'm not coming from a form-nazi standpoint as much as I am coming from a concerned coach who doesnt want his players blowing out their backs or knees or wrists with suspect form.

Thanks for any advice

CD

I have never had any problems with the lateral split in any lifter I've ever taught using our method detailed in the book. When they learn from the jump, they learn that the bar goes up in response to jumping with the bar at arm's length, and that the harder they pull the higher the bar goes. These kids have just been taught to get the bar into their hands any way they can. My advice is to rebuild the clean from the jump, and the problem may go away. Unfortunately, once an incorrect motor pattern is embedded it can be hard to overwrite.

Thanks for the reply Mark. The challenge will now be getting the kids to swallow their egos and lower the weight so we can get the 2nd pull the way its supposed to be!

I don't envy your position.

holy shit. that is some strong kid there.

starting strength coach development program
    He's made it to the NFL so more power to him. However, I am disheartened at the fact that not a single comment was made on the youtube page about his horrendous clean form. I attempted to make a comment about it but it said it required approval from him...so maybe that's why.