starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I noticed some back rounding in my deadlift at 365. I tried resetting to 345 and focusing on setting my back but it didn't fully fix the issue. I did not wear shoes in the 365 video but I thought it was useful to include anyway. Thanks for the help.

365 - Deadlift - 5x365 - YouTube

345 - Deadlift - 5x345 - YouTube

I do not watch shoeless videos. 345 was shot from the wrong angle, but your back is not terrible. Where is your belt?

Required reading before posting

I started deadlifting recently and have not ordered a belt yet. The rounding gets worse at heavier weights so I was wondering if there were any adjustments that might prevent that. I can also film another video at a better angle when I deadlift this week.

Your stance is crazy narrow. Your back isn't terrible but that stance can't help. Your stomach needs to be between your thighs, not pressed against their fronts. If you really feel like your feet need to be that close together, your toes need to be further apart.

Don't set your back at the top. Follow the 5 step deadlift setup and set it at the bottom. Setting it at the top means your hip angle will only close until your fingers reach the bar, and if your legs aren't deliberately driven out, then you won't close it sufficiently. It's probably why you can even get away with the narrow stance.