starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digestive enzymes

Default Digestive enzymes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Jordan, I've been using digestive enzymes recently and they have been working very well. I'm using NOW Super Enzymes if you want to take a look at the profile. Anyway, I have read that taking these daily will downregulate the natural digestive enzymes in your body over time, is that true? In that case, it might be best to use these sporadically.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    Hey Jordan, I've been using digestive enzymes recently and they have been working very well. I'm using NOW Super Enzymes if you want to take a look at the profile. Anyway, I have read that taking these daily will downregulate the natural digestive enzymes in your body over time, is that true? In that case, it might be best to use these sporadically.
    I haven't seen any data on that in folks without pathology in their GI tract.

I fail to see how taking what is essentially a protein pill can aid in digestion. Don't these enzymes (protein chains) just de-nature in the low pH environment of the stomach and get absorbed in the small intestine--IOW, GET DIGESTED--like any other protein before they can "digest" anything themselves?

In this context, what does working very well mean? I don't understand taking something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pcknshvl View Post
    I fail to see how taking what is essentially a protein pill can aid in digestion. Don't these enzymes (protein chains) just de-nature in the low pH environment of the stomach and get absorbed in the small intestine--IOW, GET DIGESTED--like any other protein before they can "digest" anything themselves?
    Most of the supplements worth a damn use a high tech enteric coating to avoid this. It's a bt more complex.

Do you see any harm in taking these long-term then?

This is what they've done for me 2 weeks in: no more bloat or acid reflux and perfect regular poops. This is basically what I wanted psyllium husk to do for me. I've been eating more food and not feeling full so I can go to bed earlier. Placebo?

Ah. So, another question, then: Why bother, unless one has some sort of well-defined deficiency? Don't we all produce all the digestive enzymes we need? Is this just another "should we take multi-vitamins?" discussion?

Do you see any harm in taking these long-term then?

This is what they've done for me 2 weeks in: no more bloat or acid reflux and perfect regular poops. This is basically what I wanted psyllium husk to do for me. I've been eating more food and not feeling full so I can go to bed earlier. Placebo?
    I don't necessarily see much harm in taking them long term if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by pcknshvl View Post
    Ah. So, another question, then: Why bother, unless one has some sort of well-defined deficiency? Don't we all produce all the digestive enzymes we need? Is this just another "should we take multi-vitamins?" discussion?

Some people may not be producing the amount of enzymes they need for their dietary intake, the risks are relatively low, and if it makes people feel better then I'm all for a trial of digestive enzymes.

Sorry if this this hijacking, but OP, do you have any other positive effects of the enzymes? I get similar symptoms (reflux, got a hiatal hernia), ibs-like stuff going on, and always on the toilet.
    I've been in an experimental mood recently, so might give these a go. But god damn, those NOW enzymes are mega expensive in the UK!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I don't necessarily see much harm in taking them long term if you need them.

Some people may not be producing the amount of enzymes they need for their dietary intake, the risks are relatively low, and if it makes people feel better then I'm all for a trial of digestive enzymes.

Thank you very much, I now have a clear conscience. This is the first time in years that I am having perfect, clean poops daily. I also don't feel like a bloated mess after a big meal. I seem to be getting stronger too suddenly with no change in programming. I am ecstatic.

BTW, does betaine HCl have the same lifting benefits as betaine anhydrous/TMG? Thatd' be nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast