starting strength gym

Thread: feels like my hip adductors are taking over on my squat

Default feels like my hip adductors are taking over on my squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    when im squatting heavy (which is 90kg for me) i never feel any ham or glute activation, only feel it working my adductors as i fight to keep my knees out from caving. but when i deloaded to 77.5kg a while back i was feeling it in my ass and legs. did i jump up my weight too quickly and my hip adductors are taking most of the slack? causing my glute and hams not to strengthen up as much as they should?. it would explain why i've been stuck at the same weight for so long.

Don't know. Can't see your squat from here.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron502 View Post
    i never feel any ham or glute activation, only feel it working my adductors as i fight to keep my knees out from caving.
    Are you talking about on the way down or on the way up? On the way down your adductors should be lengthening (because it's your external rotators responsible for knees going out) -- so if you're feeling them on the way down (and you're truly talking about adductors...) I wonder if they're just tightening at the bottom of the squat. If you're feeling your adductors on the way up it's probably because they're contracting and participating in the squat.

Tell me, what would it "feel" like if you felt "glute activation"? Has everyone suddenly developed neurological disease, that certain muscles cannot "Fire"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Tell me, what would it "feel" like if you felt "glute activation"? Has everyone suddenly developed neurological disease, that certain muscles cannot "Fire"?
    The Limp Ass Syndrome, often caused by long term spunkamine deficiency.