starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form

Default Deadlift form

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Coaches,

First I would like to thank you all for all the help you provided since I have already bothered you more than enough.

This is a back off set I did with 55% of my 1RM and I just can't seem to set my back properly.

Deadlift form check - YouTube

I have read the book, tried to activate the back muscles with exercises from SS, tried Sumo deadlifts, wider grip, narrow grip, high hips, low hips, even spent almost 200$ to get a 3 inch belt.

Is there nothing I can do other than get a coach? I am already in the process (applying for US visa) to go to the December seminar however I would really like to deadlift from now till December.

I just don't get deadlifts even a twink 50 kg wet guy at the gym pulled 170 kg the other day with a flat back.

Well, a good coach can fix things very quickly in ways that I cannot over the Internet. You are correct that you do not set your back very well. In fact, in many reps you do not attempt to set your back at all. You also do not fully extend at the top. You end your pulls looking at the ceiling, too. What to do? Try this:

Pick a point to look at about 20 feet away.
    Pause before you pull for about a half second. Really arch your back. You should be uncomfortable.
    Hold that arch off the ground.
    Stand all the way up. Fully extend your hips.
    Wear some lifting shoes.