starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patellar Tendonitis

Default Patellar Tendonitis

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I seem to have injured myself during my last workout (http://startingstrength.com/resource...338#post970338).

Do any of you folks have personal experience with patellar tendonitis? If so, could you tell me what symptoms you experienced, and what you did for recovery? Also, how long did recovery take you, especially you over-60 people?

Thanks for any help.

I'm only 48, and haven't injured that particular tendon (yet). But I've had several other tendon problems (wrist, hip, shoulder).
    My experience is that tendon healing time is on the order of months, not days. So you really want to work around it rather than waiting, if possible.

Maybe do a form check to see if you're doing something wrong? I was, that's what hurt my hips. My shoulders just needed a break from BB presses, I subbed DB presses and dips for a few months, they didn't aggravate my supraspinatus.

Static stretches and massage don't seem to help me. Frequent gentle movement (to circulate the synovial fluid and keep things warm) helps.

Hmmm. Now I'm wondering if there are any workaround exercises for the squat that don't involve machines....

No really good subs for squats, no. But my hip tendinitis was caused by *bad* squats, once I fixed my form I could keep squatting -- my hips still hurt but squatting correctly didn't make things worse. Maybe your knee issue is the same.

I use soft wraps around just under the patella, it keeps the patella tendon warm while I lift. I think rip talks talks about it, and I also seen him use it. It worked for me when I started having tendonitis problem after a couple of month lifting. When it began feeling heavy.

Have you ever had MCL problems? Sounds kind of like when my MCL flares up.

I highly recommend good, thick knee sleeves. Especially for Master age lifters. They made a world of difference for me.

If you need extra support you can go with knee wraps.

I pretty sure that's what i have, thanks to squatting in Adipowers.

Patellar tendonitis is not uncommon and it can be a bitch. I had it a few years ago. Wanna know how I got it to go away? So would I. It eventually went away after a time, but it was not quick. I couldn't tell exactly what cured it. Be prepared for it to take a while. Often there is a form component to the cause. Get a form check done and make any necessary corrections. Tendonitis/tendonosis takes a while to resolve since the tissues are avascular. Make sure you are moving correctly and train around it. Stretching your quads may or may not be of assistance.

Frankly, I'm not sure whether it is PT, MCL, or something else. Both seem reasonable possibilities, given the location and nature of the pain.

Hopefully the doc will give me an authoritative diagnosis on Thursday, and I can go from there. In the meantime, cold packs, ibuprofen gelcaps, and emu oil are my friends. And a nice thick neoprene sleeve. (Which, sadly, I was wearing when this thing blew up on me).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Often there is a form component to the cause. Get a form check done and make any necessary corrections.
    I live in San Francisco. If only there were a place I could go, maybe like a Squat Training Camp somewhere nearby, like Oakland, where I could get my form checked by a certified Starting Strength coach....

Just kidding, Tom. I didn't see the announcement for your camp until after it was closed. Darn it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast