starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Failed squat cause extreme arm pain? Video attached*

Default *Failed squat cause extreme arm pain? Video attached*

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've dealt with elbow tendinitis off and on doing SS. One thing that ALWAYS lights it up is failing a squat. Therefore I try not to fail squats! I failed one yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHqKlcZ7p3U
    and almost immediately my left arm was wrecked. Specifically the top of the arm all the way from the shoulder to the wrist. I describe it as a sharp aching. All I could do was let my arm hang for about 10 minutes. Anyone have any idea what is going on and what I can do to help it from happening (short of failing squats)?

I currently cannot do chins because of a TFCC tear in my left wrist. I do hammer curls 3x weekly.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Ask your gym to buy spotter arms for the rack so you can fail without dramatically throwing the weight off of your body. That might help. Also you had that squat.

How does a failed squat light it up and a completed squat doesn't? The only difference is you are throwing the weight off on a failed squat. So does that mean the action of throwing the weight off is what is actually lighting it up? If so, I'd listen to melody regarding the spotter arms.

You're right amsgator, a set of completed squats doesn't cause this intense pain. However, I do have some elbow pain as I release the weight after re-racking. I think it has something to do with releasing the contraction of squeezing the into my back in the low bar position.

I usually squat at home and have spotter arms (I still don't usually squat inside them). I'm willing to try it though. It would seem that the weight is going to have to transfer through my arm for a fraction of a second even if I fail onto the safety bars. I guess I need to research the correct way to bail on spotter arms.

Thank you melody for the reply also. I might have been able to grind the rep out from the looks of the video. It didn't feel like it at the time though!

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    How does a failed squat light it up and a completed squat doesn't? The only difference is you are throwing the weight off on a failed squat. So does that mean the action of throwing the weight off is what is actually lighting it up? If so, I'd listen to melody regarding the spotter arms.

Kyle Schuant Guest

There were three people standing around doing nothing while you had 350lbs on your back. Why the FUCK were two of them not spotting you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    There were three people standing around doing nothing while you had 350lbs on your back. Why the FUCK were two of them not spotting you?
    They don't do SS, therefore they aren't strong enough to help

Quote Originally Posted by jonneyfletch View Post
    I usually squat at home and have spotter arms (I still don't usually squat inside them). I'm willing to try it though. It would seem that the weight is going to have to transfer through my arm for a fraction of a second even if I fail onto the safety bars. I guess I need to research the correct way to bail on spotter arms.
    You don't "bail" onto spotter arms. You set the spotter arms just below the lowest point the bar goes during your squat and if you can't get the rep you set the bar on the pins.

Not me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MllhJASc5g#t=41
    Last edited by amsgator; 10-12-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks amsgator, I'm willing to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    You don't "bail" onto spotter arms. You set the spotter arms just below the lowest point the bar goes during your squat and if you can't get the rep you set the bar on the pins.

Not me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MllhJASc5g#t=41

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by jonneyfletch View Post
    They don't do SS, therefore they aren't strong enough to help
    I lol'ed.

But seriously...get spotters on the sides if you can't get spotter arms. They're not there to lift the bar, they're there to take off just enough weight that you can lift the bar. The way you're bailing, while ninja, could cause a problem in the future. And given that your arm flares up when you bail, it would be best to avoid that from happening.

Sidenote: it looked to me like your hands were draped over the bar...though the angle makes me a little uncertain of that. To the extent you are doing so, that can cause issues. Straighten them out.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm headed out to the garage for my 5x5 day. I'll set up my spotter arms. Thanks again all!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I lol'ed.

But seriously...get spotters on the sides if you can't get spotter arms. They're not there to lift the bar, they're there to take off just enough weight that you can lift the bar. The way you're bailing, while ninja, could cause a problem in the future. And given that your arm flares up when you bail, it would be best to avoid that from happening.

Sidenote: it looked to me like your hands were draped over the bar...though the angle makes me a little uncertain of that. To the extent you are doing so, that can cause issues. Straighten them out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast