starting strength gym

Thread: Can't Train..... Yet

Question Can't Train..... Yet

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    (Please Read Entire Post)
    Hi I'm Dakota I'm 15 I don't know if this is the right place to put this but here we go... So I have basically just bought the SS book as I want to get stronger. I currently do not have any equipment to exercise with as I can't afford to pay for it at this current point in time. So in order to be able to pay for equipment I have taken on an unfortunately low paying job with low hours so unfortunately, it looks like it will be a long time before I can afford all the equipment needed for a home gym, about 8-15 weeks according to my mental math. Anyway, I was wanting to know what I should do in terms of my training and nutrition in the meantime before I actually get the equipment I need?

Any and all help is appreciated, and thanks in advance,
    Dakota

Are there no public gyms you can go to?
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 08-14-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Welcome.

Please read the book, cover to cover with a highlighter and some post it ntoes. learn as much as you can from it and here, on these boards. Start reading the repetitive inquiries forum for some of the most common and recurrent problems.

Accustom yourself to proper eating: meat, eggs, milk, vegetables and fruit. Learn how to eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight every day. Track your intake if need be. Teach yourself hpw to sleeo as much as possible - a growing lad like yourself needs 9-10 hours per night.

If you do all these things, you'll be ready to hit the greound running when your equipment arrives. Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Are there no public gyms you can go to?
    Unfortunately, the only public "gyms" around are the ones filled with circuit style machines and rows of treadmills, things of that nature.

Okay, will do! Thank you very much for the guidance!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota_k View Post
    (Please Read Entire Post)
    Hi I'm Dakota I'm 15 I don't know if this is the right place to put this but here we go... So I have basically just bought the SS book as I want to get stronger. I currently do not have any equipment to exercise with as I can't afford to pay for it at this current point in time. So in order to be able to pay for equipment I have taken on an unfortunately low paying job with low hours so unfortunately, it looks like it will be a long time before I can afford all the equipment needed for a home gym, about 8-15 weeks according to my mental math. Anyway, I was wanting to know what I should do in terms of my training and nutrition in the meantime before I actually get the equipment I need?

Any and all help is appreciated, and thanks in advance,
    Dakota
    You have probably already figured this out, but Craigslist is your friend, if you live in an area that has a board and a reasonable amount of traffic on it. Set up a saved search that will alert you when people list "barbell" or "weights" or whatever, and jump on cheap stuff when it comes up. I did much of my LP with small-hole rusty weights I got from Craigslist, and when I eventually upgraded to olympic style weights and a power rack, I sold my first set back on Craigslist and made a little $ over what I paid for them. So basically I had free rental of usable equipment for a bit of cash up front as a deposit.