starting strength gym

Thread: Osteoporosis, DEXA scan and weightlifting

Default Osteoporosis, DEXA scan and weightlifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys. I haven't checked in in a while. I had my third hip replacement a few months ago, and it went well, and I was back in the gym very quickly. Then I had a DEXA scan for osteoporosis. Since I have artificial hip joints, they can't scan my hips, so they scanned my lumbar spine and my non-dominant wrist.
    Results: frank osteoporosis in the lumbar spine. ZERO in the wrist.
    I'm really confused and discouraged about this. I have a lumbar scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and some articles I read indicated that since the DEXA is read by a machine, rather than a human, that with the abnormal orientation of a spine like mine, the DEXA is not reliable. My primary doc shrugged this off.
    I would have thought that lifting heavy weights for a couple of years would have prevented osteo. What I really don't get is is how I could have it in my lumbar spine, and not a trace of it in my wrist.
    So, this got me discouraged and feeling like the work I had been doing was pointless, and I have had a hard time getting back into the gym.
    I thought if I posted here, I might feel some peer pressure to perform. I'm having a very hard time just getting to the gym.
    I'm not getting motivation from myself. The trainers are the gym are helpful when I am there, but I honestly think they think that I'm "old", so if I work out, that's great, but if I don't, that is par for the course.
    I have lost a lot of strength and gained a lot of fat since my last hip surgery. I think I need to start the program over. Should I go back to close to zero and start out three days a week like I did at first?
    I had been DLing almost 160# Last week I tried some rack pulls and 65# was really hard for me. I think I should go back to 45# and start over.
    Any suggestions? motivating ideas?
    Thanks

You have no doubt seen what LP has done for other people.
    You've probably read the Barbell Prescription (probably a good time to re-read).
    I have no special degree or medical authority, but I know what I like.
    I'd be shocked if the bone density in your wrist (which sounds like the more accurate reading) is not a better indication of your bone health.

I have also experienced a number of "setbacks". None on the scale of a hip replacement. (aka a couple of shoulder injuries)

Staying in the game is worth it.
    Rerunning LP is easier the second time. But more valuable as you're older.

My prayers are with you.
    Stay strong.

All the caveats you should be considering are there in your post: just had hip arthroplasty, scoliosis may be effecting either the bone density or the scan interpretation, loss of strength post op. There's also the issue of what's CHANGED. What are the before and after BMDs? Would you have been better or worse had you never touched a barbell?

And finally:

What are you going to do? NOT train?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    All the caveats you should be considering are there in your post: just had hip arthroplasty, scoliosis may be effecting either the bone density or the scan interpretation, loss of strength post op. There's also the issue of what's CHANGED. What are the before and after BMDs? Would you have been better or worse had you never touched a barbell?

And finally:

What are you going to do? NOT train?

I think I had a scan years ago. I guess I could try to dig that out, but it might not have been spine, might have been hips (pre arthroplasties) or calcaneous... dunno.

<sigh> yea. I'm going to stamp my feet and NOT train because I'm frustrated.
    hmmmmm
    that sounds a bit counter-productive.
    I guess I'll go to the gym.

Thanks Jonathon.
    btw; Do you know of anyone (radiologist mayhaps) who would actually know the answer to my DEXA with Scoliosis conundrum? How accurate this might be? If there is a way to know? How to assess BMD in this situation? I think if I had an actual answer one way or the other, I would have a better goal to shoot for. With a measurable goal, I can format a plan. Without one, I feel like I am shooting in the dark right now.

I appreciate you weighing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Outstanding View Post
    Hi guys. I haven't checked in in a while. I had my third hip replacement a few months ago, and it went well, and I was back in the gym very quickly.
    Awesome. I had both knees replaced in 2015. Took me about a year to really get in the gym...

Then I had a DEXA scan for osteoporosis. Since I have artificial hip joints, they can't scan my hips, so they scanned my lumbar spine and my non-dominant wrist.
    Results: frank osteoporosis in the lumbar spine.
    Pardon me, but so f'ing what??! How do you feel? Are you impaired? Don't you miss the other good things that come with working out?

I would have thought that lifting heavy weights for a couple of years would have prevented osteo.
    There are other factors. For example, have you been to an anti-aging doc and had your hormones looked at?

The trainers are the gym are helpful when I am there, but I honestly think they think that I'm "old", so if I work out, that's great, but if I don't, that is par for the course.
    Why the hell do you give a shit about what they think? I don't know how old you are, and frankly, I don't care. I'm 59, and I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life. I'm making it a habit of showing all those nay-sayers who's boss! Eat my dust mf'ers!!

I never deadlifted before April of this year (my 59th birthday month LOL) and I managed to pull 446 (202.5kg) at The Desert Destroyer meet in July. Here's me just this last weekend doing one of six sets of three with 405:

If you look closely when I'm at the top, you can see that my spine is curved, my right shoulder is dropped, and my head isn't on my centerline. Oh well. Am I going to let that stop me? No way!