starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form check [Novice]

Default Deadlift Form check [Novice]

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Beginner here I should have thoroughly read the stickie but didn't until after i filmed and got home. I think the angle is alright unfortunately I couldn't move farther back on either side other rack was occupied and behind me was a hack squat machine. Should have done it on the working set but randomly decided to film this warm up set for 3... they're normally pretty strict about no filming but no one was around at the time. hopefully this is enough and if needed next workout i'll film it better, working set and squats aswell. first one is myself, i'm 5'9 168 lbs, been on starting strength for about two weeks now. squat 135->165, press 80->90,deadlift 135->195 (205 was alright but some rounding decided to drop back to 195 and get form advice),bench press 135->155 (135 was too easy but decided to start there, 5rm is really around 170). Haven't incorporated cleans yet. friend is 5'11, 165lbs, same time as me on the program. all numbers except press and bench press are the same as me.
    me - Deadlift form check 165x3 - YouTube 165x3
    friend - Deadlift form check 165x3 - YouTube 165x3
    all help is much appreciated.
    Thanks!

1. Why are you doing triples?
    2. Can we maybe see a work weight set if the triples are warm-ups? They help us see form breakdown better.

You: Show us a video of your entire set-up. This means from when you step to the bar, including bending over to grab the bar. You do a good job of setting your back, maybe a bit too much extension; however, you drop your hips getting there. Choose a spot on the floor 10-15 feet ahead of you; don't look straight ahead or in a mirror. Can't tell for sure, the bar might be forward of mid-foot. Did you feel the bar coming off of your legs? Set the bar down fully and reset your pull after every rep. Eat.

Friend: Re-read the deadlift chapter of SS:BBT3 and specifically the set-up procedure. Do not squat to grab the bar. Bar looks way forward of mid-foot. Same comment on a gaze point; are you looking in a mirror? You don't look down at what you're doing in terms of grabbing the bar and setting your feet at all. No effort is made to set your back; your lumbar is not flat. No effort is made to squeeze the chest up; the pull goes from zero to ::yank::. No need to hold the bar at lockout for more than a beat; lockout, beat, then descend. Reset the pull fully after every rep; it looks like you want to bounce these. EAT.

Read the deadlift chapter. Particularly to the discussion on midfoot and where it is. Read the setup protocols. Execute them, neither of you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    1. Why are you doing triples?
    2. Can we maybe see a work weight set if the triples are warm-ups? They help us see form breakdown better.

You: Show us a video of your entire set-up. This means from when you step to the bar, including bending over to grab the bar. You do a good job of setting your back, maybe a bit too much extension; however, you drop your hips getting there. Choose a spot on the floor 10-15 feet ahead of you; don't look straight ahead or in a mirror. Can't tell for sure, the bar might be forward of mid-foot. Did you feel the bar coming off of your legs? Set the bar down fully and reset your pull after every rep. Eat.

Friend: Re-read the deadlift chapter of SS:BBT3 and specifically the set-up procedure. Do not squat to grab the bar. Bar looks way forward of mid-foot. Same comment on a gaze point; are you looking in a mirror? You don't look down at what you're doing in terms of grabbing the bar and setting your feet at all. No effort is made to set your back; your lumbar is not flat. No effort is made to squeeze the chest up; the pull goes from zero to ::yank::. No need to hold the bar at lockout for more than a beat; lockout, beat, then descend. Reset the pull fully after every rep; it looks like you want to bounce these. EAT.
    Thanks, I'll show him your reply.
    It was a mistake on my part, we did 165x3 that's what's shown in the video then did 180x1 and then 195x5. on the last rep of 195 I don't believe my form broke down at all but the bar literally slipped out of my hand as i was setting it down on my second last rep, i need to work on grip strength. When I started I could barely do 165 for 5 without my grip completely giving up, i've been doing hangs as accessory and went from not being able to hold on to 165 to almost being able to hold on to 195 for 5 but still need to work on that. I'll be sure to film the full set up, landscape perhaps and working set next time.

I'm not sure why i looked down at the end of the last rep think i was trying to emphasize the lockout and just check on where the bar was, no mirror in front but a lot going on so tried looking at the dumbbell rack way off in the distance i'll follow your advice and look 10-15 feet at the ground ahead of me. Yea I used to hyper extend alot more not sure if I have a slight APT since I feel like it's far easier for me to hyper extend than others I know.. also I really did not want to round my back (although i know it's just as bad..) but I have been working on that but never had anyone other than my friend check my form and finally decided to tape it. First time using round plates 90% of the plates at my gym are hex plates and being able to roll the weights around overall felt much better and saved me from having to waste time resetting as much. I think i also have to focus on more hip drive as my lockouts look odd sometimes and I may be separating the bar too much from my body. I'll re-read the chapter aswell and try to get into position without dropping hips as much. What do you mean by off of my legs? Like having to use my legs to get it up or on the way down it somewhat rolled down my legs? I made sure to have the bar travel fairly straight and up my shins but I may have had my hip pushing the bar a bit away from me as i try to lock out and lost some tightness there. Having gone from never deadlifting before as I was afraid of the movement... to now is a real eye opener. Loved reading the book definitely going to read it over again to get a better grasp on things now that i've tried most movements and have been using the official app as my training log and like how easy it is to use and how it dynamically sets my warm up weights and sets and workout weight and sets with linear progression. I'm eating at about a 400-500 surplus right now and know the book says more so i guess i'll try it out currently at just under 3100 calories and as a student have found eating clean to be quite expensive but will keep it up, also protein intake is only around 0.8g/lbs so will up that aswell and adjust accordingly. went from 165-168 in the last two weeks on the program.

As for my friend he hasn't read the book so I more or less showed him what I learned from it, he had deadlifted before as part of his baseball training but was taught sumo and had never incorporated any type of progressive overload in his program his starting numbers were DL 135->195, squat 135 -> 165, press 45->75, bench 95->115. I'll let him borrow my copy, always go to the gym with him and loving how we're both progressing. he probably doesn't know what taking the slack out of the bar is so we both definitely need to learn more and hopefully we'll keep improving. he's probably at a deficit if i'd have to guess as he's not tracking but going to tell him to eat or try out GOMAD if needed. Thanks for your response and sharing your knowledge it is much appreciated. I'll be filming and uploading another form check in 2 or 3 days and hopefully will have most things sorted by then.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Read the deadlift chapter. Particularly to the discussion on midfoot and where it is. Read the setup protocols. Execute them, neither of you are now.
    Thanks for the reply! had an argument with him about what exactly the midfoot is since he said he was taught differently by his baseball coach a year or so ago... the image in the book is pretty clear but I guess I had a hard time setting it up properly and deciding where the bar should be once in position and often forget some cues. Could you elaborate on what part of the set up both of us aren't doing correctly other than the foot position and what we could improve on? once again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RiberoD07 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! had an argument with him about what exactly the midfoot is since he said he was taught differently by his baseball coach a year or so ago... the image in the book is pretty clear but I guess I had a hard time setting it up properly and deciding where the bar should be once in position and often forget some cues. Could you elaborate on what part of the set up both of us aren't doing correctly other than the foot position and what we could improve on? once again, thanks!
    Bar over midfoot, usually 1" from the shin. Typically, the bar will look like it's over the knot of your shoe. Take your grip by bending over from the waist to grab the bar, straight legs. Do not move the bar. Shins to the bar without dropping your hips, do not move the bar. Squeeze your chest up to set your back into rigid extension without dropping the hips, do no move the bar.

"Coming off the legs" means the bar isn't physically touching your legs for the entirety of the ascent. This will happen if the bar is too forward of mid-foot, if the knee opens before the hip, and if you can't maintain the proper back angle.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Bar over midfoot, usually 1" from the shin. Typically, the bar will look like it's over the knot of your shoe. Take your grip by bending over from the waist to grab the bar, straight legs. Do not move the bar. Shins to the bar without dropping your hips, do not move the bar. Squeeze your chest up to set your back into rigid extension without dropping the hips, do no move the bar.
    will try to improve set up and show the set up in the next form check, thought bar was over midfoot for me but will make sure, might be a flexibility issue but usually need to bend knees to grab the bar. Tend to move the bar into bent knees towards shin instead of bend knees and shin towards bar which is a bit backwards or sometimes alternate will be more consistent. thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    "Coming off the legs" means the bar isn't physically touching your legs for the entirety of the ascent. This will happen if the bar is too forward of mid-foot, if the knee opens before the hip, and if you can't maintain the proper back angle.
    ah that makes sense and indeed that is what i'm doing i try to keep it as close to shins as i can last time bruising my shin somehow but seems that the bar moves ever so slightly outwards as it passes my knees and doesn't touch my thighs at all as i ascend. Will definitely get it closer to midfoot and make sure the bar is closer to the body thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RiberoD07 View Post
    will try to improve set up and show the set up in the next form check, thought bar was over midfoot for me but will make sure, might be a flexibility issue but usually need to bend knees to grab the bar. Tend to move the bar into bent knees towards shin instead of bend knees and shin towards bar which is a bit backwards or sometimes alternate will be more consistent. thanks for the advice!
    I find it hard to believe that a 168lb college age male, with fully functioning joints otherwise, cannot bend over with straight legs and grab a bar sitting 8-1/8" off the ground. My fat ass can do it. Your skinny ass can. If you can't, squat down only as much as is necessary to grab the bar, take your grip, then straighten your legs and bring your shins to the bar. DO NOT BRING THE BAR TO YOUR SHINS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast