starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A interesting development

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's a good word, interesting.

I would have rather mixed feelings about having my business hitched to this particular wagon, were I you, mind.

I thought you might say that, since I've already had another comment from one of your fellow travelers to that effect. Let me guess: it was racist.

It is an interesting point, not well (enough) developed. I wouldn't call it 'racist' but the specific description of that video was, well, off point. I've spent a lot of time in Springfield; in fact, I was married there.

Whilst I am aware of your personal politics Rip, Starting Strength, the method and the brand are ultimately an apolitical product. Making it into a political product or stance is perhaps not the best idea considering I think you want the brand/product/method to have the widest appeal possible.

The question is, how does bringing politics into it help grow the Starting Strength brand? A question for all I know you have already considered.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    That's a good word, interesting.

I would have rather mixed feelings about having my business hitched to this particular wagon, were I you, mind.
    I don't care how Rip promotes his business, but I also don't see how being strong relates to a political ideology. Saying libertarians are strong and people with other ideologies aren't feels like a reach. Also, ideologies which have physical aesthetics associated with them make me feel queasy.

Another questions is why does the article speak only about men being stronger? Is it that women's body types are more naturally suited for the Left? Following the logic of the article, is this because women lack independence and self-sufficiency?

The dude reads a little too much into things. Conservatives should be strong because strong is good. Statists should be strong because strong is good. Statists should be smarter because then they'd be conservatives.

I thought you might say that, since I've already had another comment from one of your fellow travelers to that effect. Let me guess: it was racist.
    (Only inferentially racist, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as it was one of the least eyeroll-worthy statements. And it's not really wrong to suggest that if good ol' peaceable Zimmerman were bigger and scarier, Martin might still be alive; kid might have run instead of risking fighting the weirdo that was following him.)

It's more that a) I happen to know very well that you're interested in improving the lives of damn near everybody, regardless of their political leanings, gender, or race, and the Starting Strength Coaches are the same way regardless of their respective (quite diverse) views of the world; b) whether or not you superficially agree with the guy's point, a sizeable percentage of the population would be offended by that guy's self-identification as a reactionary, misogynist imbecile (something you are not); c) the invocation of your name and quote could link you to those things in the minds of those people, making them less likely to be receptive to your arguments or work; d) the core idea of getting physically strong and mentally tough as part of an ideology of self-reliance and independence applies just as easily to far Left radical ideas, or other political POVS.

I'm fairly certain I could write a lot better about the importance of such things to a far Left "counterculture" than this guy wrote for his "THE counterculture". I could blather on more, but my head is killing me and I have to be up to teach in five fucking hours. Fuck.

It was silly.

starting strength coach development program
    George Zimmerman was a weird example. Treyvon Martin was 4" taller. It takes a lot of bulk to make up for what someone lacks in height.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast