starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue B&R 2.0 Bar

Default Rogue B&R 2.0 Bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    There are already two other threads about this bar, but I thought creating a new one that started with images and an overview might be a good idea. Here are those two threads for reference:

New B&R bar from Rogue
    B&r 2.0??

I've also created a full album with unboxing and additional images on imgur here: Rogue B&R 2.0 Bar

I received and un-boxed the bar on Tuesday after ordering from Rogue on Thanksgiving night, when their Black Friday deals went live. The bar came in the standard Rogue packing tube, and was wrapped inside in clear blue plastic, which is either a recent change (because it's the first time I've received a plastic-wrapped bar from them), or because it's a bare steel bar and they're trying to prevent it from oxidizing while in the packaging. The tube had a slight split in the side, but was otherwise intact.

First, some basic facts:

• Weight: 20KG
    • Finish: bare steel
    • Diameter: 29mm
    • Type: Bushing (bronze)
    • Loadable sleeve length: 16 1/4 inches
    • Center knurl: 4 5/8 inches, with a knurl consistent with the rest of the bar (Rogue's page incorrectly lists a passive knurl)
    • Width of smooth, un-knurled portion: 17 inches

Knurl: As far as I can tell without having an older B&R bar in-hand, the knurl is identical to the previous version. Same great feel, and sticks in the hands without being aggressive.

Edge of knurl:

Center knurl, showing the same knurling pattern, and stops/starts:

The knurl extends all the way to about 1/4 inch from the edge of the sleeves, which is the same as Rogue's other bars. Bronze bushing also pictured.

Last edited by hollismb; 12-03-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixed sleeve length typo

The sleeve assembly is no longer the pinned end-cap design of the old version, and is consistent with Rogue's other bars, with an outer snap ring over an end cap (protecting half washers and more snap rings), meaning the entire length of the sleeve is loadable.

The edge of the sleeve is tapered, which makes loading plates a little easier (this changed between their 1.0 and 2.0 versions of the Ohio Bar). The sleeves have a slight ridging to them. Some people don't like these ridges, because it allows the plates to slide more easily, but I've never had a problem with it on my other bars.

Lateral shift/movement of the sleeves is minimal, perhaps not even a millimeter. Also, while this bar hasn't been dropped to fully test it, it's noticeably quiet, like the two Ohio bars I have. It doesn't exhibit a loud or annoying clang when set down hard.

The bar has great spin. Surprisingly so, when unloaded.

Video: unloaded spin

With a 45 pound plate, it still spins quite well, comparable to my best-spinning Ohio bar.

Video: loaded spin

Full bar view:

Overall, a great bar, and in my opinion, an improvement over the previous version. Let me know if anyone has any questions or needs more information.
    Last edited by hollismb; 12-03-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Couple things.

First, brilliant. Beautiful. Congratulations.

Second, think you have a typo about the loadable sleeve length.

Third, can we get some video of the spin.

Yours truly,

Your secret admirer

Zalty_Baltczak Guest

6 1/4" loadable sleeve length? Do you even cut and paste bro?

Don't need one at all. Want one anyway. First world problems or something. Shiny baubles. Glittery objects. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Couple things.

First, brilliant. Beautiful. Congratulations.

Second, think you have a typo about the loadable sleeve length.

Third, can we get some video of the spin.

Yours truly,

Your secret admirer
    Fixed the sleeve length typo. And yes, I actually measured it because Rogue's info is occasionally incorrect. You can't see the videos?

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Fixed the sleeve length typo. And yes, I actually measured it because Rogue's info is occasionally incorrect. You can't see the videos?
    On mobile. This stupid forum software doesn't show the embedded videos on mobile. I'll clearly need to pull the link from your quoted text. I apologize.

Edit: that spins really well for a power bar...
    Last edited by Cody; 12-03-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    On mobile. This stupid forum software doesn't show the embedded videos on mobile. I'll clearly need to pull the link from your quoted text. I apologize.
    Ah. I just slapped some regular links below them for those who can't see the embed.

Brilliant work, Gilchrest. Reps on spread.

starting strength coach development program
    A question just occurred to me. A barbell sleeve should be packed with light grease in the bushing right? So, if it's packed with grease why does the sleeve, and should it, spin like that?

I was playing around with a Eleiko comp bar the other day and I noticed, while it has very little (almost no) resistance to being rolled, it stops very quickly because the sleeves are packed with grease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast