starting strength gym

Thread: DL Form Check Please Sirs

Default DL Form Check Please Sirs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I have not filmed my DL since I started wearing lifting shoes last year sometime. Prior to the shoes I already had difficulty on my set up, feels like I can't get down far enough. From looking at this workset, I think my back is set alright, which is what I was worried about, but the bar path looks kind of wonky. What say you, gents? Apologies for the long pauses between reps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac4O...ature=youtu.be

You are pushing the bar way out in front of the middle of your foot right before you pull which is causing 90% of the problems. This is a normal struggle for people, albeit quite strange with Octagonal plates, being that they don't roll very well (And are just generally the worst things ever made for barbell lifting)...

Follow these 5 steps in setting up your deadlift:

1) Walk forward until your shins are 1" from the bar.
    2) Grab the bar with straight legs and don't roll or move the bar at all.
    3) Push your shins forward until they touch the bar (knees should be pushed out against arms) - still don't roll bar.
    4) Squeeze chest up hard, setting your back tight WITHOUT DROPPING YOUR BUTT OR LETTING YOUR SHINS COME FORWARD OR ROLLING THE BAR AT ALL.
    5) Drag the bar up your legs.

Thanks, Matt. Really hate these freaking octagonal plates. Set them down and they either move away from my shin, or move backward and bark my shin. Maybe I am over-reacting and pushing the bar out to keep it off my shins. I will concentrate on setup as you mentioned, and perhaps get some deadlifting sox so I can really drag that sucker straight up.