starting strength gym

Thread: Sumo deadlifts over conventional deadlifts?

Default Sumo deadlifts over conventional deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I herniated L5/S1 deadlifting one year ago. I have a total of three herniated discs in my lumbar spine from years of weightlifting. I am nervous about going back to conventional deadlifting, and have been kicking around the idea of pulling sumo instead, due to a more vertical torso. Being that I already have herniations and if I do pull conventional, would it be easier for me to injure myself again being the discs are already herniated? What are your thoughts on someone with back history like myself wanting to pull sumo. I am following your "one lift per day" workout mixed in with assistance exercises, and have been going sumo.

You'll need to search about rehabbing back injuries to get the full answer- there are a ton of threads that discuss them and it's been asked so many times that people get tired of posting the same answer. Quick answer though is that you're not going to rehab your back by shying away from using it. Best rehab is deloading your conventional and moving back up slowly with absolute perfection on form (and you may need a coach to be positive your form is on point, especially since this isn't the first time you've injured your back). I am in no way an expert in any of these subjects though so please search around the forum and learn more from the actual brains here before making your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptenx View Post
    You'll need to search about rehabbing back injuries to get the full answer- there are a ton of threads that discuss them and it's been asked so many times that people get tired of posting the same answer. Quick answer though is that you're not going to rehab your back by shying away from using it. Best rehab is deloading your conventional and moving back up slowly with absolute perfection on form (and you may need a coach to be positive your form is on point, especially since this isn't the first time you've injured your back).
    +1.

Also... work on making your abs as strong as possible. You cant have a strong lower back without having strong abs.