starting strength gym

Thread: Forward Head Posture

Default Forward Head Posture

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I apologize if this question is beyond the scope of this forum, but I have an extremely terrible "forward head posture" that I'd like to correct.

I think this was caused because when I was younger (and up until just recently), I was a very bad "mouth breather" and did not keep proper oral posture. I've recently learned that humans are naturally supposed to keep their tongue (especially their posterior tongue) hard pressed on the roof of their mouths, while breathing through their noses. If one does not hold this posture, it can have negative consequences on head and neck growth and formation. I mention this only because it therefore makes sense to me that the Starting Strength model, as perfect as it is, has not corrected this particular issue for me even though I am now into intermediate programming (TM).

Basically my ears are way out in front of my shoulders and the back of my neck is constantly flexed. It's as if my neck is "looking up", just for my head to "look forward." If I forcefully jam my head back into proper position and get my neck straight it becomes very difficult to breath, as my airway somehow becomes blocked.

Again, I apologize for this odd and probably uninteresting question, but I'm asking it here because I believe SS coaches are the most intelligent group when it comes to understanding how human body was designed to function properly.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gettingstronger View Post
    I've recently learned that humans are naturally supposed to keep their tongue (especially their posterior tongue) hard pressed on the roof of their mouths, while breathing through their noses. If one does not hold this posture, it can have negative consequences on head and neck growth and formation.
    I don't keep my tongue pressed firmly against the roof of my mouth, nor have I heard of others suggesting this either. If this were something all humans were supposed to do, it would probably be more commonly known. Further, how you hold your tongue is highly unlikely to have any effect on how your head, neck, or posture develop. I am not sure from where you got these ideas, but I do question their correctness. I have not done any of this and my head is not poking forward to an unusual degree.

I mention this only because it therefore makes sense to me that the Starting Strength model, as perfect as it is, has not corrected this particular issue for me even though I am now into intermediate programming (TM).
    While perhaps this is pedantic, the Starting Strength model is not perfect. Nothing is. As detailed as the advice in the book is, I don't think Rip specifies what you should do with your tongue. Getting stronger will generally not have an effect on bony changes to skeletal joints. It may help you stand up straighter if you were slouching because you did not understand how to stand up. It will not correct scoliosis.

Basically my ears are way out in front of my shoulders and the back of my neck is constantly flexed. It's as if my neck is "looking up", just for my head to "look forward." If I forcefully jam my head back into proper position and get my neck straight it becomes very difficult to breath, as my airway somehow becomes blocked.
    This may just be you at this point. People have skeletal abnormalities, although there is a wide range of what is considered "normal." If you cannot breathe properly when you put your head back, then I would prioritize breathing over any ideas of what constitutes ideal posture. If your cervical spine has developed in this way and you are an adult, it may be difficult, or impossible to change. If you are not in pain and you can go about your life in a full and complete manner, I would not worry overmuch about this. I strongly suspect this had nothing to do with your tongue, or how you were breathing.

Thanks Tom. This makes sense. My posture looks terrible, but as you said there may be nothing I can do about it.