starting strength gym

Thread: About to restart the program after a long layoff. Need advice on starting back up.

Default About to restart the program after a long layoff. Need advice on starting back up.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The layoff was due to loss of strength in my left hand due to a pinch nerve in my neck that happened late December. I've been pain free for many months. Anyway, I have the serious itch to get back at it again.

My plan on the first two workouts (A & B) is to start with the bar, and do 5 reps at normal speed. I'm going to rest a minute or so, and add 10 pounds to the bar. I'll keep repeating this until I finally feel the bar speed to slow down. Once I feel this, I'll stick with this weight and do 2 more sets with it.

My only confusion is on deadlifts. If I start off less than 135#, I'll be picking up the bar too low to the ground. How should I overcome this? I have an R3 with outside spotter arms. I guess I could lower them to one of the lowest settings so it resembles the height of the bar when set on the floor with 45's. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    The layoff was due to loss of strength in my left hand due to a pinch nerve in my neck that happened late December. I've been pain free for many months. Anyway, I have the serious itch to get back at it again.

My plan on the first two workouts (A & B) is to start with the bar, and do 5 reps at normal speed. I'm going to rest a minute or so, and add 10 pounds to the bar. I'll keep repeating this until I finally feel the bar speed to slow down. Once I feel this, I'll stick with this weight and do 2 more sets with it.

My only confusion is on deadlifts. If I start off less than 135#, I'll be picking up the bar too low to the ground. How should I overcome this? I have an R3 with outside spotter arms. I guess I could lower them to one of the lowest settings so it resembles the height of the bar when set on the floor with 45's. What do you guys think?
    Do you anticipate 135 being greater than your current 5RM deadlift? If not then just start with 135. No need to start with the bar if it's not even remotely challenging.

What were your numbers before you stopped?

Last left off with the following amounts for my work sets:

Squat 250
    Deadlift 265
    Bench 225
    Press 125

I think 135 will feel fairly easy for me.

Last left off with the following amounts for my work sets:

Squat 250
    Deadlift 265
    Bench 225
    Press 125

I think 135 will feel fairly easy for me.
    I think so, too. By the time you get to the deadlift, you should be fairly warmed up and motivated. Welcome back to the program. Go crush it.

Sounds like too much work to me.... I'd start with 60 or 70% of your last lift, if it feels too light increase by 10 or 15 lbs instead of 5 the next workout, shouldn't take more than a week or so to get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRozon View Post
    Sounds like too much work to me.... I'd start with 60 or 70% of your last lift, if it feels too light increase by 10 or 15 lbs instead of 5 the next workout, shouldn't take more than a week or so to get back on track.
    wow. Really? I've had a 7-8 month layoff. Due to a pinch nerve (and then some laziness...). I was thinking it would take me probably at least 6 weeks to get back to somewhere in the ball park of where I left off.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread your post as a week or so to get back to where I was.
    Last edited by JLB105; 08-25-2017 at 07:38 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Edit: Nevermind, I misread your post as a week or so to get back to where I was.