starting strength gym

Thread: Repetitive quad tears

Default Repetitive quad tears

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey mark, I didn't know which section to put this. I've torn my vastus lateralis three times. The first time was not that bad and I tried to train through it but it got worse so I could not. I took a couple days of high rep rehab. I was relatively pain free and stupidly put 305 on the bar and tore it again. It was much worse. I did a much more gradual and conservative starr rehab over the course of maybe two weeks. I worked back up to 285x3x5 than did 5lb increases until it tore again at 295 out of nowhere. At that point I was completely comfortable squatting. Sorry about being lengthy with my question. Why do you think this keeps happening to me and how should I move forward?
    18 male
    5'10
    Current 295󫢭 squat
    350x5 deadlift
    110x3x5 press
    195x3x5 paused bench

I think you were stupid to get back under 305 within 48 hours, and this may cause problems for a while. How is it today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think you were stupid to get back under 305 within 48 hours, and this may cause problems for a while. How is it today?
    Its feeling much better than it was Wednesday night just after it happened again. I can perform a bodyweight squat without any sharp pain though it is uncomfortable. Its more numb most of the time than anything. Sometimes I get some pain close to the knee with a straight leg. I'm trying not to be as hard headed and learn to ask for help when it comes to training. Prior to starting lp I used a westside type conjugate template for around a year and drove myself into pretty serious fatigue. I kept adding "small workouts" so my cortisol levels were probably through the roof.

Get back on the Starr and try it correctly. This is a case for which it will work.