starting strength gym

Thread: Andy's 40+ Program vs. PP3rd pages 233 and 234

Default Andy's 40+ Program vs. PP3rd pages 233 and 234

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm having to move off of the linear progression program which is sad as at almost 59 years old I've never been stronger and what a great program it is. I have tried the ascending sets of 5 on pager 233 and as another SS Coach said something along the lines that program would crush him. Yeah it didn't work for me at all. It's was just too much. I was hesitant to try the Back Off Method as it says it's actually harder than the Starr 5x5 but I figured what the heck. So far this program is working for me. Another six weeks or so are going to have to pass before I really know for sure as I've only been using it for a few weeks.

I also bought Andy's 40+ program and I'm still working on understanding it's implementation and if I can fit it into my schedule. I can't wait till I retire and can focus on trail running, swimming, cycling, downhill skiing and strength training! Anyway what are the pro/cons of Andy's program vs the Back-off Method for the older lifter? Are these programs pretty individually dependent and how a particular physiology reacts to it?

I tried the PP program first, and stalled out pretty quick, especially on upper body. Just wasn't going anywhere. Andy's program got me going again.

YMMV, but working heavy / light on a 4-day split with the assistance exercises lets me do more intense work sets, and yet recovery doesn't seem to be a problem.

I can't speak to the 40+ Program, but I had a good long run with the back-off p.233 program.

Thanks guys. For now my schedule works better with the back off method so I'm going to give that a go. I'm also going to make sure I understand Andy's 40+ program and make sure I can do all the assistance work as I work out in my garage that way if the back off doesn't work out I'll have a fall back and when the back off method tapers off or my schedule allows I can pick up with Andy's program.