starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat check 125kg

Default Squat check 125kg

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Greetings, coaches. When you find the time, I'd appreciate a form check for my squat.

Brief history: Did SS last year, bodyweight went to 108kg, squat was up to 150kg (not good form, wasn't hitting parallel), deadlift was up to 180kg. Then one day while squatting 152,5kg heard a distinct 'pop' below my right hip, along my iliotibial band (??). After the episode it had become impossible to squat over 120kg or deadlift over 160kg without throbbing pain shooting down my leg.
    Since then I took about a 6 months layoff mostly due to life than the injury itself, and am now trying to work back up.

I'm currently squatting 125kg and deadlifting 170kg. I feel the deadlift is going much better than the squat, which feels really tough and every rep is getting to be a grind. I don't want to push it to much this time around, because I still feel a throbbing pain after my squat workout, when lying on the side on the couch or in bed. I know pains and aches are part of the program, and it's nothing compared to what it felt like 6 months ago, so this is a good sign I suppose.

I had my form reviewed by Wolf and Tom, both noticed the weight shifting to my heels. I feel I'm over compensating now and have the weight on my toes. I'll try to correct this on today's squat.

1. Am I breaking parallel? Some reps seem questionable to my untrained eye.
    2. I feel the bar is going beyond mid-foot. Must concentrate on keping the bar centered over mid-foot.
    3. Why is my squat so shitty compared to my deadlift? I feel absolutely no carryover from my deads to my squats..

So, besides the shitty equipment, no weightlifting shoes, crappy velcro belt, and not getting enough protein, what else can I do to improve my squat? For what it's worth, last week I bought a 10lb bag of whey and am getting more protein in and I'll be getting a better belt hopefully this Christmas. Money is the main limiting factor in most of the above.

125kg (275lb) 3x5

Thanks a bunch. Sorry for the long post.

Stats: Male, 31. 189cm (6'2''), 100kg (220lb)

Depth looks OK, though the first reps are better than the last. You're getting a little forward out of the bottom, but really not much. Focus on controlling your descent and shoving knees out the whole way, then keeping your chest up as you drive with your hips. Don't switch to lifting your chest, just keep your chest/upper torso along for the ride a little better instead of letting your back angle change quite as much as you're doing.

Your squats actually look pretty easy and fast. Every rep is nowhere near a grind. I suspect you have a lot more re-progression in the tank, but you're tentative because they hurt. I don't blame you for feeling that way when pain is involved. I'm not sure about your pain situation, but it doesn't sound very good to me. Have you done anything to address it other than laying off heavy lifting?

One more thing: you may like facing the other way better. A wall so close to you may throw you off a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Depth looks OK, though the first reps are better than the last. You're getting a little forward out of the bottom, but really not much. Focus on controlling your descent and shoving knees out the whole way, then keeping your chest up as you drive with your hips. Don't switch to lifting your chest, just keep your chest/upper torso along for the ride a little better instead of letting your back angle change quite as much as you're doing.

Your squats actually look pretty easy and fast. Every rep is nowhere near a grind. I suspect you have a lot more re-progression in the tank, but you're tentative because they hurt. I don't blame you for feeling that way when pain is involved. I'm not sure about your pain situation, but it doesn't sound very good to me. Have you done anything to address it other than laying off heavy lifting?

One more thing: you may like facing the other way better. A wall so close to you may throw you off a bit.
    Coach, thanks for your insight and quick reply. I'll do as you say and film myself doing 130kg this friday because I'm using Wednesday as a light day for squats. As for the pain, it's really more of a discomfort and tightness that arise from time to time than actual pain. I'll stop being a pussy and not mention it again since it detracts from my main goal which is improving squat technique.

As for facing the other way: this is a great idea that I for some reason haven't thought of, even though the wall was distracting me to a certain degree.

Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    As for the pain, it's really more of a discomfort and tightness that arise from time to time than actual pain. I'll stop being a pussy and not mention it again since it detracts from my main goal which is improving squat technique.
    Stuff like this is really hard to get right over the internet. I'm a bit concerned based on your first post, but you'll just have to use your best judgement.

8odin8: I like the squat rack . . . but the one you had two years ago, that was something else . . holy crap!

Hey coach, here are todays squats, 132,5kg (291,5lb) 3X5. These actually felt much better and easier than last friday's 130kg. I tried to lift my hips and chest simultaneously keeping my back angle more constant, I'm not sure if I suceeded, I'll let you be the judge.

I only filmed my first set and beginning of the second before my battery died, my apologies. Thanks for any advice that you give, I appreciate and value your time.

132,5kg 3X5

The dog is cute, and well-lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    The dog is cute, and well-lit.
    Thanks Steve. I told the dog how you felt. He wagged his tail and looked off into the distance. I'd say he was pleased.

So... any opinion on the squats?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic
    I like the squat rack . . . but the one you had two years ago, that was something else . . holy crap!
    Yeah, I built it because I needed a rack fast and had no money. That's the look I was going for, cheap and hasty. I intended for it to last a few months. The damn thing is still standing there years later, in the rain, snow and sun. It rocks back and forth, I wouldn't trust it with 100lb of weight, but I yet don't have the heart to tear it down. I might leave it as a relic of some sort. Or use it for firewood.

- You're not getting your knees far enough forward.
    - you're a little deep on some reps
    - GRIP THE BAR. Don't lay your wrists over it. Remind me to add this to the list of common things we see people do despite the book saying not to do it.
    - your lighting sucks and makes it hard to do form checks. Get better lighting.

starting strength coach development program
    When you start the descent, reach your knees forward and out simultaneously as you reach your hips back. Your knees should be at their furthest point forward by time you are halfway down. Notice that your knees slide forward some in the hole of most reps. We want to avoid this. Keep your knees out hard in the hole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast