starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Here is the final working set of 185 lbs.

Thank you for your time.

DC

YouTube

Hi DC.

These look high, depth wise. Go 2” deeper.

Your gaze (and thus torso) is eye level; find a spot on the floor in front of you about 3-6 feet and keep it there.

You need to set your knees about 1/3-1/2 of the way down.

Out of the bottom you lead with your chest.

The good news is that these are common, interrelated problems, that I bet are creeping up on you because of your gaze and because you are lifting very fast. Move deliberately, not rushed.

These don't look high to me at all. The depth looks good, but I would slow down as Brian suggests. A side-view may be warranted for a better diagnosis, however, IMO the biggest problem I see is that your knees are traveling a bit too far forward and you don't lean over enough. Additionally the knees slide even further forward at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Goldstein View Post
    Hi DC.

These look high, depth wise. Go 2” deeper.

Your gaze (and thus torso) is eye level; find a spot on the floor in front of you about 3-6 feet and keep it there.

You need to set your knees about 1/3-1/2 of the way down.

Out of the bottom you lead with your chest.

The good news is that these are common, interrelated problems, that I bet are creeping up on you because of your gaze and because you are lifting very fast. Move deliberately, not rushed.
    Thank you your reply. It was suggested I cut my depth in my last form check. I paused my video when I reach bottom and depth looked just below parallel on all the reps. The first one seemed closest to being insufficient but still just below parallel. It was also suggested to lead with my hips in the last form check. Gaze, I was looking where the wall meets the floor. I will move it closer and hopefully like you said it will improve other issues. Knees was the issue I saw and wanted to confirm. Will work on this. Do you think TUBOW is necessary or just losing tightness at bottom? Again thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    These don't look high to me at all. The depth looks good, but I would slow down as Brian suggests. A side-view may be warranted for a better diagnosis, however, IMO the biggest problem I see is that your knees are traveling a bit too far forward and you don't lean over enough. Additionally the knees slide even further forward at the bottom.
    Thank you. The knee slide at the end is what I saw as well. Setting the knees earlier, keeping them there, and slowing down is what I will work on.

starting strength coach development program
    They are all interrelated, and it’d just slow down, fix the gaze, and point nipples to floor. That will put your butt back, which will help you set your knees, which will.., you get the idea.