starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pretty decent squats

Default Pretty decent squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello everybody,
    I'm on the third week of a new program and as the way get heavier I feel like my form may be breakingo down a little.
    Could I get some help?
    YouTube
    Thanks a lot in advance.

*Weights.Sorry

I don't know if it's my computer or your video, but it doesn't want to play past the first few seconds.

You look like you're borderline hyper extending your back at the beginning of each rep and then at the bottom you can't maintain that anymore so you're back returns to a normal amount of extension. Just keep your back in normal extension the whole time. It looks like you need to try stay in your hips more, sit back more, at the bottom to stop your knees from sliding forward. Oh, and stop racking the bar with one foot in front of the other. Walk the bar into the uprights and rack it with the same stance you would use to squat just like when you unrack the bar.

It works fine on my phone,maybe it's your computer.

So,making a quick list:
    -Sit back further
    -Tight gut

I got the video issue too, I think it's the Youtube transcode nothing your fault, I changed the quality setting and it worked for me.

As for the squats, I dunno man, pretty damn good to me. What's your background, have you had coaching before?

I kinda just see what Kangajoo sees, but nothing horrific, I'd be curious to see what others think. Just keep your position tight in the hole - that's maybe a heavy weight for you and you look tired, but strive for perfection. Your back extension is a little exaggerated but I'm guessing you are just focusing on it too much as it's a new technique, as you grease it with a few more sessions it should settle in a groove. Just focus on having it natural and rigid.

I don't know if you need to sit back further to my eyes. Maybe you could aspire to unlock your knees and hips at the same time a little smoother, but that's probably just a ripple effect of a hyper extended back. This is pretty nitpicky stuff.

Definitely do fix your wrists though, they won't be doing you any favours. Get them in a neutral position before they get ground into dust.

I'll assume you are not suffering from any serious pain or complications? Form will try to break down as weights get challenging, you just seem to be getting tired and losing focus on staying tight. Are you taking enough rest between sets?

I'm mostly concerned about that music.

I'm currently not on SS LP because I was stalling the hell out,and one of the powerlifting coaches of my gym gave me one of his programs that has timed rest period,that on squats are like 3 minutes,and that is my third set,so yeah,it kinda sucks.
    My wrists are bent that way because I'm taking a thumbs around grip,which I found helps me avoiding placing my elbows too high and improwes my upper back tightness,and using some relatively heavy duty wrist wraps has kept me pain free.
    Also,the music hurts like hell.

Yeah, probably should have started my last post by saying these are alright squats already so the feedback is a bit nitpicky. But your low back does move around more than it should and you have a little knee slide which to me looks like it's caused by letting your low back go into flexion while bringing your hips forward as you get closer to the bottom of the squat. Fix that and apart from your grip, which based on your explanation above I'd say is valid albeit different from what's recommended in SS, you'll have a pretty textbook squat.

starting strength coach development program
    My opinion:

Fix your grip - nothing good can come from flexed wrists. Any stability you think you may have gained will be compromised if the bar isn't being clamped down by your hands

I strongly disagree that 3 mins rest period will be sufficient if gaining strength is your concern, you can do cardio afterwards if you want to do conditioning. Far smarter people have more eloquently discussed this, have a search around the board or look for some articles about rest periods. If you get tired and let your position slip and you miss a rep or get injured because of it, how much of a setback will that create.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe.

Invest in some nice headphones

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast