starting strength gym

Thread: Leg length discrepancy

Default Leg length discrepancy

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    A few years ago I required the services of a PT to deal with a majorly herniated disc in the L5/S1. I did a lot of IT band release, stretches, and "assistance work" bullshit that didn't really do anything until I learned of SS and proper technique, so I forced myself to squat again, and that helped me rehab my messed up back and pelvis so much that I'd need to type a novel to give my thanks.

Anyway, while seeing her she mentioned that my left leg is about half an inch shorter than my right. Worry not, arrangements have already been made for a vasectomy, but because I live in the frozen wasteland that is Canada I will have to wait at least a decade before having my nuts fixed. Damn commie healthcare.

Now seriously, I have a dominant right side when I squat and it takes a lot of concentration to push evenly, and since I have a shorter leg I was wondering if using a cushion in my left shoe would be a good idea at all. I don't know if half an inch is really enough for any issues, or if my right side dominance has more to do with concentration than with anything else.

Again, thanks for the time you put into this.

Shim the short leg shoe with a built-up non-compressible sole the whole length of the foot. This keeps the ankle angle constant between both feet.

On a related matter,

may I ask if different arrangements should be made if the lifter has a longer femur on one side? (I do)

It seems to me that a shimmed shoe can only make up for discrepency in tibia length, and that perhaps for people with mismatched femurs, an asymettrical squat stance could work. Ive been experimenting with this and it seems to be working.

The shim should be even thickness, right? Or should it be tapered/elevated inline with the shoe? Just so I know what to tell the Cobbler or be pissed off about.

You're probably right about the long femur. As far as the shim goes, if it is the same thickness the angle in the shoe is preserved and both feet will dorsiflex the same. If the shim is tapered the angles will differ.