starting strength gym

Thread: Biceps injury

Default Biceps injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello Rip,

I did something stupid in the gym and now I'm paying the price.

I use dumbbells for the bench press. Usually, I follow your advice with respect to getting into and out of pressing position. I rest the weights on my knees with my elbows locked and roll back onto the bench. I do the reverse to get back up. Usually.
    Yesterday, I failed to complete my last rep and ended up with the 100# bell's resting on my chest. I tried to lower/drop the weights to the floor (stupid) and apparently strained or tore something in my left bicep. I didn't notice anything at the time of injury but within moments I experienced a very strong but dull ache in the middle of the biceps muscle. It feels like it's deep, near the bone. I took ibuprofen when I got home and the pain pretty much went away.
    This morning, I woke up pain-free and decided to return to the gym. The pain came back with a vengence during squats and I had to abort the work-out.
    What sort of injury do you suspect? How much down time for recovery?
    Thanks for your time.

It could be a muscle belly tear, or it could be brachialis origin. But this is exactly why this cannot be done on the web: what if it is a pec or delt, and your perception of the injury inaccurate?

I see your point. Time to make an appointment. Thanks!

Just as a heads up as somone else who also dumbbell benches heavy...

...when I miss a rep, I still don't need to drop the dumbbells on the floor. Here's how I do it, and maybe you guys can do the same?

Once I fail and the dumbbells are on my chest, I just gently direct the ends of them to the tops of my thighs (where ones thighs meets ones torso) with my feet up as in the method rip describes, and just sit up somewhat explosively.

The dumbbell's weight will help you sit up, just like in rips method, except instead of finishing up standing with the dumbbells on your thighs, you finish up sitting up on the bench with the dumbbells on your thighs. And from there you can just stand up.