starting strength gym

Thread: Bar only squat.

Default Bar only squat.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the book. Amazing resource, nothing like it here in Australia.

When I started to squat I lacked hammy flexibility, causing lower back to round and knees forward at bottom. So I used your stretch - grabbing feet and pushing bum in the air. Works wonders. I can now touch the ground with straight legs. With weight on the bar, 60kg, I can get to parallel with maintaining good back, and feel hip drive! However without weight I can't get down without relaxing muscles and my back rounds out, knees come forward.. is this bad ? Do I need to keep working on flex ? It feels like my hip flexors are straining on the way down. I dont suppose being 6'3" I need more flex?

Cheers tommo.

If you are flexible enough to touch the ground with your knees locked, you are probably flexible enough to squat below parallel. I've never seen anybody that wasn't. If you're sure your stance is correct, the problem is usually that you are not pushing your knees out at the bottom. Try it and see if it helps.

Default Knees

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed that is what it was... I thought my knees were over my toes but they weren't, I think more time in the squat stretch will fix that!

Cheers,

Tommo