starting strength gym

Thread: Planning a missed workout on TM

Default Planning a missed workout on TM

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm doing a TM-ish program right now. Both presses are still SS-style LP, but I do 5x5 squats and PC's on Monday, Light squats and back ext/pullups wed and a heavy triple squat and deadlifts friday. It has been working nicely, I think.

I am going tonight for my Monday workout but I have two options because friday and the weekend are not possible workout times this week.

1) I do Monday and Wednesday and skip friday and continue back as normal next Monday
    2) I do Monday, skip wednesday and do my heavy Friday workout on Thursday instead. This may require some additional "active recovery" to loosen up in place of light wednesday squats - maybe just some dicking around with the bar in my basement and some extra foam rolling.

Thoughts?

Do 3x5's tonight. Then do M-W-Th.

Skip the light squats on Wednesday, or go really light.

I'm not too keen on doing back ext/pullups the day before heavy deads and I certainly can't be doing bench/press back to back.

What's your reasoning?

Monday: Squats 5x5
    Bench/Press 3x5
    Chins

Wednesday: Power Clean 5x3
    Same pressing movement as Mon 5x3 10% lighter

Thursday: Squat 1x3
    Bench/Press 3x5

Maybe not the best option, but its what id do.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I'm not too keen on doing back ext/pullups the day before heavy deads and I certainly can't be doing bench/press back to back.

What's your reasoning?
    Aren't you doing light bench or press on Wednesday? You might have to make it really light or skip it. Don't do anything Wednesday that will interfere with Thurs.
    So the reasoning is since your recovery cycle is shortened, do less to have to recover from. The point of Wednesday is to aid recovery. If it gets in the way in this case, skip it.

Oh, I see your confusion. I'm still on SS LP with both presses. Just alternating every workout and adding 2.5lbs. I have not switched my presses to TM weekly programming.

Okay, as the week goes on I"ll see if I can manage wed and thurs (big family gathering this weekend at my house with big house renovations is going to fuck my gym schedule, but life wins over gym this week), but if I can't I think I'll just miss wed and go heavy thursday.

To clarify further, this is only THIS week, but I might as well have the best route figured out because I end up in this situation every couple months.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Oh, I see your confusion. I'm still on SS LP with both presses. Just alternating every workout and adding 2.5lbs. I have not switched my presses to TM weekly programming.

Okay, as the week goes on I"ll see if I can manage wed and thurs (big family gathering this weekend at my house with big house renovations is going to fuck my gym schedule, but life wins over gym this week), but if I can't I think I'll just miss wed and go heavy thursday.

To clarify further, this is only THIS week, but I might as well have the best route figured out because I end up in this situation every couple months.
    Could be my reading comp too.