starting strength gym

Thread: Squating interfering with my deadlifts.

Default Squating interfering with my deadlifts.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    For the past 2-3 weeks my DL has been stuck in the mud, and I thinks its because the weight on my squats on my PR/ME day has gone up. I just dont have the juice to hit heavy doubles, triples, or a heavy set of 5 for squats, then try to hit a heavy DL attempt.

Ex. this week I hit 470x4 on Friday, and after a ME bench attempt, I wanted to try and pull 475 for some singles...but no...couldnt even get the bar moving, so I just did 425x5. I know some people might say move them to Monday, but after high volume squating I think it would hinder my DL also.

I dont know where to fit them in, or if I should change the programming Im on.

Haven't actually tried any of these, but brainstorming here. Assuming you're doing Texas Method...?

1) Try alternating Squat and DL weeks, like most people do for Press/Bench Press (seems like might not be enough frequency for Squat but who knows? If it works for Press and Bench, 2 related but not indentical movements, maybe it can also work for Squat and DLs).
    2) Try doing the DLs in a separate workout, later that day, after some solid calorie consumption in between.
    3) Rest longer than usual after the ME Bench Press, combined with an in-workout shake of some sort for better in-workout recovery.
    4) Pull harder!!!

Yeah, Im following TM, and I never thought about altering squat/dl work. I should maybe take a little more time to re-coop between the SQ and DL, and yes also...I MUST PULL HARDER ! ! !

The split program in PP has DL and Squats in different days, maybe that would suit you better.

You are moving some big weights for the deads. You might consider switching to rack pulls and halting deadlifts if progress is pretty well stuck. I actually tacked on an extra recovery day at the end of my TM cycle. I no longer have a nice, neat one week progression, but it allows me to recover better and has dropped my deadlift frequency to once every four workouts. I do a volume, recovery, intensity, recovery cycle for squats and pulls. Deads actually go into the first recovery day. That hasn't screwed up my intensity day squats yet. Cleans go into my second recovery day. Volume and intensity get weighted and bodyweight pullups. I run my presses on the normal three day cycle. I may wind up aligning them by adding another recovery press day at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    You are moving some big weights for the deads. You might consider switching to rack pulls and halting deadlifts if progress is pretty well stuck. I actually tacked on an extra recovery day at the end of my TM cycle. I no longer have a nice, neat one week progression, but it allows me to recover better and has dropped my deadlift frequency to once every four workouts. I do a volume, recovery, intensity, recovery cycle for squats and pulls. Deads actually go into the first recovery day. That hasn't screwed up my intensity day squats yet. Cleans go into my second recovery day. Volume and intensity get weighted and bodyweight pullups. I run my presses on the normal three day cycle. I may wind up aligning them by adding another recovery press day at some point.
    So correct me of Im wrong but your on a 4day split ? Also how do you fit in all your DL assistance work?

what i would do on your intensity days is squat for two weeks and deadlift for one (and keep everything else the same). i would still deadlift on the squat days, but do something like 5 singles at ~90%. same goes for the deadlift day - deadlift first, then press, then 5 singles at ~90%. you'll have to feel the weight out a bit, but this should keep you progressing nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTonyT View Post
    So correct me of Im wrong but your on a 4day split ? Also how do you fit in all your DL assistance work?
    I took the Texas Method as my base, but added one day into the next week. As a result, my "one week" cycle looks like this 1-Monday (volume), 2-Wednesday (recovery), 3-Friday (intensity), and 4-Monday (recovery). I don't do assistance work for the deads, I just work deadlifts on day 2. When that becomes too much to recover from, I will move to rack pulls one cycle and haltings the next. You may want to consider training the partial variants of the deadlift that because of the weights you are handling.

starting strength coach development program
    Nothing to see here.

Move along.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 11-29-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Damn iPhone