starting strength gym

Thread: Why are Dips/Chins used for higher reps?

Default Why are Dips/Chins used for higher reps?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Just for the record, I did search around before asking this...I found a lot of information (both on this forum and on other sources from guys like you and Starr) talking about how body-weight exercises (namely, Dip and Chins) should be done for significantly higher reps before adding weight. In fact, in one of the articles on this site, I remember reading something along the lines of BWx4x20 Dips before adding weight, and I remember reading something similar (maybe slightly lower reps) in reference to Chins as well. I was hoping you could help me understand why it is that BW exercises are loaded so much differently than other barbell exercises (or accessory exercises in general, for that matter). From what I've read, you or Starr very rarely recommend anything over 8-10 reps/set on any exercise (save for maybe hyperextensions), so I was wondering why you recommend going to reps that are so much higher before adding weight on BW-exercises only.

Thanks in advance, Rip...your help is appreciated, as always.

There are several threads on this board about the use of 5x5 for weighted chins, and this applied to dips too. They can certainly be use this way. I like higher reps on assistance movements, and was taught to use chins and dips at high reps by Starr. You may now change your notes.

Great, coach. I think I'm going to use the idea that you posted in an article (or perhaps in response to another question) about alternating between BW for high reps and weighted for lower reps, hopefully to get the "best of both worlds". I'll also check out the 5x5 weighted chins posts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There are several threads on this board about the use of 5x5 for weighted chins, and this applied to dips too. They can certainly be use this way. I like higher reps on assistance movements
    Pullups seem equally primitive as deadlifts and presses. Why are pullups/chinups classed as assistance movements?

Because they are not barbell exercises. They are in the program from the beginning, so I obviously consider them important.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because they are not barbell exercises.
    Well at least pull-ups are for me. My pull-up bar is an old 1" barbell. ;-)