starting strength gym

Thread: Knee injuries associated with the power clean?

Default Knee injuries associated with the power clean?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello all,
    Does anyone know any of the common knee injuries associated with the power clean?

Background.
    Trying to have a "hard week." From sunday on either did compound movements like squats, thrusters, cleans, lunges or running, and a 12 mile ruck march with 50lb load. Never tried pistols before this week and was able to complete the exercise (pleasant surprise, never know until you try). In short lots of work on the legs.

Today.
    Ran for .5 mile as a warm up (along with some rudimentary stretching) the proceeded to do some thrusters (95lbs). To get the bar to the rack position I cleaned it up. First two sets not a problem, next set I feel a pop (not unusual at the time), and on my way down everything is fine, on my way up however I feel an acute pain coupled with loss of strength. I immediately put the weight up and get off my feet. What happened?

I've never injured myself before so it was a concerning moment.

Afterward I walked a bit gingerly on it and tested an air squat. Walking = okay. Air squat = not so much.

I go home and put my knee on ice w/ elevation and then afterward ibuprofen 800mg and a warm bath.

Bottom line. No swelling or bruising or redness. Some sharp pain and loss of strength with certain movements. I'm thinking acl strain. A personal trainer friend of mine thinks its over training and that I need a couple of days off my feet.

You didn't say where the "pop" was or where the specific pain is. This would have a bearing on the diagnosis. But I seriously doubt that it is your ACL.

The pop was in and around my left knee.

*UPDATE*
    I completed 5 sets of 15 @135lbs (deadlift) so I guess I'm alright. My knee still feels sort of funny (it feels like it hyper extends just a little bit when I walk), and at certain angles I get a sharp pain (perhaps a pinched nerve?).

I don't know what the deal is.

"in and around your left knee" is still not terribly specific. But this is really outside my bailiwick at this point.