starting strength gym

Thread: Great video series about silly bullshit

Default Great video series about silly bullshit

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Found this playlist debunking popular concepts known around here as 'Silly Bullshit':

Harriet Hall: Science Based Medicine - YouTube

I have yet to watch al of the lectures, but from what i have see thus far it's great information especially for those around here who are not trained scientists/MDs. Lots of other great content on this channel as well.

just now watching . . .but probably going to be the most relevant/important video in the series:

Lecture 9: Pitfalls in Research - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by tinglstrength View Post
    Found this playlist debunking popular concepts known around here as 'Silly Bullshit':

Harriet Hall: Science Based Medicine - YouTube

I have yet to watch al of the lectures, but from what i have see thus far it's great information especially for those around here who are not trained scientists/MDs. Lots of other great content on this channel as well.
    lols
    . . .shit like . . .

Percent of Acupuncture Trials with Positive Results

30% Canada, Australia, New Zealand
    53% US
    55% Scandinavia
    60% UK
    78% Rest of Europe
    98% Asia
    100% Brazil

I'm a big fan of Dr. Hall, SBM, and the Randi Foundation, and have read lots of their material over the years. These are excellent videos and should be required viewing.

Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    lols
    . . .shit like . . .
    Percent of Acupuncture Trials with Positive Results

30% Canada, Australia, New Zealand
    53% US
    55% Scandinavia
    60% UK
    78% Rest of Europe
    98% Asia
    100% Brazil
    Well, I am a skeptic and dismiss shit like chiropractics and acupuncture as wrong models of what's going on, however shit like the table above makes me believe something is going on that we don't fully understand and thus struggle to isolate in science.

Seems to me that the placebo effect and rituals along with unintended/misunderstood effects allow a lot of dubious shit to have overall positive effects, so that I believe top athletes who receive tons of recovery work with low evidence like massages, ice baths, acupuncture, kinesiotape and so on may get a small edge, though that might just be me getting fooled.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Well, I am a skeptic and dismiss shit like chiropractics and acupuncture as wrong models of what's going on, however shit like the table above makes me believe something is going on that we don't fully understand and thus struggle to isolate in science.

Seems to me that the placebo effect and rituals along with unintended/misunderstood effects allow a lot of dubious shit to have overall positive effects, so that I believe top athletes who receive tons of recovery work with low evidence like massages, ice baths, acupuncture, kinesiotape and so on may get a small edge, though that might just be me getting fooled.
    This particular segment of the video series was about how shit gets cooked up. More a referendum on the fuckery that goes on with the studies.
    I think in maybe that case . . . Acupuncture is an Asian thing . . . so the Asian studies submitted/drafted are cooked up accordingly to validate that brand of voo-doo.
    Not necessarily that Asian People are experiencing a placebo effect from their own brand of home grown witchcraft . . .thus validating it.

Look at the difference between Canada and US . . . Why the difference there?
    And Australia is low too . . .a lot of Asians there I thought? why?

She goes on to say to just throw anything from Russia in the garbage. . . .

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    I agree that there seems to be a lot to this and I have been trying to figure out a way to deliberately enjoy the benefits of the placebo effect without either turning into a total moron.

In a somewhat related field, Scott Adams, who is a bit of an expert on persuasion, talks about how you can essential game someone even after telling them you are doing so.

That is kind of what I hope to learn to do to myself with some of the placebo stuff.