starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

Rip, this was a PB lift.. And obviously the back is pretty damn rounded but the weight looks like it goes up fairly easily.

Do you think the back rounding is a physical weakness or a mental, set up thing?

Thanks

It's a strength issue, since you set it flat and couldn't keep it that way.

Don't drop your bar from the top. You look like a CrossFit boy trying to be radical/histrionic. Set the bar down like an actual lifter does, and use the eccentric work more efficiently.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 11-12-2011 at 09:00 PM.

manisstrong Guest

I have the same problem , for months I haven't been setting my back properly and now even if I do it rounds, I have to drop the weight significantly to keep it straight.

Dave may have also acquired the bad habit of bouncing his reps after the first. This is GUARANTEED to produce a weak lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Dave may have also acquired the bad habit of bouncing his reps after the first. This is GUARANTEED to produce a weak lower back.
    I see you mention things like this often. In your experience, is it odd for someone who has trained intelligently to find the not being able to keep the low back in extension is the limiting factor on the deadlift? As I have never bounced my reps, and I consistently feel I have to hold back progressing on my deadlift because despite finishing the lift, my back loses a bit of extension.

No, it's not odd. Something has to limit the deadlift, and most of the time it is either lower back or grip.

No, it's not odd. Something has to limit the deadlift, and most of the time it is either lower back or grip.
    Thought so. Thanks.

manisstrong Guest

Although the lower back doesn't limit the deadlift in the same way as the grip. With a weak grip, you won't get the bar up. With a lower weak back, I do get the bar up, no problems. Except that the lower back can't stay in extension.

Quote Originally Posted by manisstrong View Post
    Although the lower back doesn't limit the deadlift in the same way as the grip. With a weak grip, you won't get the bar up. With a lower weak back, I do get the bar up, no problems. Except that the lower back can't stay in extension.
    With a weak grip you won't get the weight up. With a weak lower back, you MAY get the weight up, or you MAY injure your back, which I guarantee will mean you not getting the weight up.

starting strength coach development program
    It's a strength issue, since you set it flat and couldn't keep it that way.

Don't drop your bar from the top. You look like a CrossFit boy trying to be radical/histrionic. Set the bar down like an actual lifter does, and use the eccentric work more efficiently.
    I don't normally drop the bar, it's just that my thumbs hurt from the set of 5 I did before.

I never bounce deadlift reps...

I've just started to add in RDLs on the strength day that I don't deadlift, do you think these might help the issue a bit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast