starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever experimenting with training 5-7x per week?

Default Has anyone ever experimenting with training 5-7x per week?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'd like to know your experiences and thoughts. I've been feeling a little frisky this week so I've been seriously considering attempting this... Although something in the back of my mind tells me this is probably a bad idea It also sounds very thrilling. I'm nerding out over here.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Don't know where you are in your training, but FWIW, I'm still working through LP, and I've never been able to make progress as quickly as the standard SS template. Even the Friday to Monday gap is starting to feel a little short for the squat these days.

It works well with Oly stuff and pure bodybuilding type stuff after you've exhausted any sort of Novice phase. If you're still doing novice/advanced novice then this style of programming is still a ways away IMO.

I did something like this when I was cutting down after SS. Basically, I had one day each devoted to bench, squat, weighted chin-up, deadlift, and OHP, with a couple of assistance exercises for each afterward. It was fun, gave me plenty of variety, and was pretty effective in that I retained about 90% of my strength and muscle by the end of the cut. However, this was more like a bodybuilding split routine. I wouldn't want to do a 5-day full-body routine.

It works well for Olympic weightlifting. For powerlifting, I think you'd be more successful with a split.

You'll never know how you respond to it until you try it, and my experiences with it and other peoples don't mean much for you. What do you have to lose, a few weeks of your time? It could be what takes your shit to the next level.

I think Josiah Moye on this site trains 6 days/week for the power lifts. John Broz has some thoughts on training everyday for powerlifting on that BB.com Q&A thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihoon View Post
    I'd like to know your experiences and thoughts. I've been feeling a little frisky this week so I've been seriously considering attempting this... Although something in the back of my mind tells me this is probably a bad idea It also sounds very thrilling. I'm nerding out over here.
    There is definetly ways to set something like this up. I would look into undulating periodization also that broz method previously mentioned I heard it works. DON'T ask me how to implement it because I do not know.

You can train 5-7 times per week depending on how you train each day and what your recovery practices are like. Without knowing how you plan on training each day, it's hard to say. Whenever you're considering adding training session, I think it's best to do one day at a time. Going from 3 days per week to 6 days per week is huge change and you will probably not be successful doing that. Do 4 days per week for two weeks, then add a 5th, then add a 6th. Like everyone said, I think it works better for weightlifting as opposed to powerlifting but you may be able to design a 5 day per week especially if did it as 3 days, off one, 2 days, rest one.

starting strength coach development program
    Dan John has a program where you do five lifts five days a week. The principle is that most workouts are around two sets of five at 50-60%, and very easy to recover from. Every week you do a medium workout, and every other week you do a heavy one. Gains are made my accumulated work rather than straight volume or intensity. It's probably slower, but workouts can be done in about an hour and most are really easy. So goes the theory, at least.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast