starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form - Maybe Knee Slide?

Default Squat Form - Maybe Knee Slide?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    It looks like there is knee slide at the bottom. Does this mean I need to close the hip angle to meet depth? I think what I am doing is sliding the knees to achieve depth. Any other issues?

squat - YouTube

Video is private

Sorry about that. Here is a second try where I consciously tried to keep the knees from moving forward. I think it is better. The last rep seems to look OK and felt OK.

squat2 - YouTube

I see no knee slide in this vid. In fact, you do a good job shooting your knees forward and out in the first 1/3 of your squat. However, you are not setting your back angle earlier enough in the squat. This arises from your squat "sequencing." You are imitating the squat in the knees, then knees and hips, then hips and in the reverse order for the ascent. The sequence should be HIPS AND KNEES (simultaneously), then all hips. The reverse is true for the way up. To fix this, think "nipples to the floor" or "HIPS!" to start your squat.

Minor detail, your elbows look really high. So much that your forearms look parallel to the ground. See if you can generate the same or better thoracic extension be lowering your elbows and bringing your hands in tighter.

This vid may help.

Squat grip is often overlooked. Almost everyone at my SS seminar had some sort of squat grip issue Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 05-27-2016 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added platform vids

Interesting rack. I never saw that before. Like a home version of a monolift, but operated solo via the spring loading.

starting strength coach development program
    - In the first video, there was a bit of knee slide at the bottom I *think*. However, in the second, I think that went away.

- Adam, yeah I see what you mean. I had been focused on setting the knees early and didn't pay enough attention to back angle at the top. Thanks! Also, yeah I agree with you about the forearms. I will work on that as well.

- Charlocity2, it is actually just a counterweight, not a spring. Mono-Lift. Rogue has one as well. I went with the Edge because it is more universal.