starting strength gym

Thread: Pain on the inside of the knee...

Default Pain on the inside of the knee...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Does having pain on the inside of the knee (I'm thinking medial collateral ligament or medial meniscus) mean I'm not pushing my knees out enough? I'm trying to self-diagnose my form and I'm thinking this is the problem. I have a tendency to 'collapse' my hip and bring my butt towards my calves rather than maintain the hips being pushed back.

I'm going to book a session with a SS coach soon but was curious if this is why I got a twinge when doing squats the last session. The curious thing is I didn't hurt yesterday, the day after the session but it hurts today (when I'm meant to train).

Quote Originally Posted by GOMAD View Post
    Does having pain on the inside of the knee (I'm thinking medial collateral ligament or medial meniscus) mean I'm not pushing my knees out enough? I'm trying to self-diagnose my form and I'm thinking this is the problem. I have a tendency to 'collapse' my hip and bring my butt towards my calves rather than maintain the hips being pushed back.

I'm going to book a session with a SS coach soon but was curious if this is why I got a twinge when doing squats the last session. The curious thing is I didn't hurt yesterday, the day after the session but it hurts today (when I'm meant to train).
    There are probably a few examples of situations in which one can make a solid, educated guess as to which form discrepancy is causing pain or injury at a specific location, but seeing the movement performed either in person or on video is usually a much more reliable method. Are you able to record a set or two?

You know Adam, I'm probably just going to give you a call and see if you'll give me some coaching. PM me a good number/time to call you on please.

How does the pain express in your knee? If it is similar to a tooth ache and you don't have stability issue the problem is probably no more than a vastus medialis in need of release by self manipulation (foam rolling/trigger point) or massage therapy.

A form check still wouldn't hurt, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMAD View Post
    You know Adam, I'm probably just going to give you a call and see if you'll give me some coaching. PM me a good number/time to call you on please.
    good idea.