starting strength gym

Thread: Shaky legs on Dead lift

Default Shaky legs on Dead lift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I attempted a search but was not successful -

First the whine - I have made three attempts at 405 in the last 6 months and have not be able to get it - (major profanity)

this last attempt, I got the bar to my knees then my legs started wobbling like a new born calf! WTF!

Obviously something is wrong with my form and or I am not keeping something tight

Any help would be appreciated,

On a second note, I use the standard grip ? both palms facing towards me I believe this grip is referred to as the overhand. I don?t seem to have a problem with the grip, but everyone at the box says if I use the alternate grip ? one palm facing forward ? that I would get this weight. I dunno ?

Thanks,
    Alex

It is quite common to miss a heavy deadlift at the knees with this type of tremor between the quads and hamstrings. You'll see it at every power meet. I don't have the neurological explanation for it. And it actually might have something to do with your grip. When you lose your double overhand grip, the bar starts to uncurl your fingers. The body has a "feedback" protection mechanism installed that prevents you from pulling a weight you cannot hold on to, and you will perceive this as a deadlift too heavy to pull. If the grip loss starts to occur at this place (the knees) on the way up, it might be contributing to the start of the tremor. It may be that you are having a grip problem that you do not perceive this way, and that if you switched to the alternate grip for your next attempt at 405 the problem might not appear. Then you would know for sure.

Coach,
    I flipped my grip on the third attempt but, honestly, i think i lost it in my mind long before i gripped the bar. I barley got daylight under the plates!

I will be taking your cert in January (Chico) we can refine it all then!

thanks
    Alex