starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" or 4" belt

Default 3" or 4" belt

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Coach,

I just got off the phone with Dean Best of Best Belts and had a nice discussion about the 3" vs. the 4" belt. At the end of the discussion, I hadn't made up my mind, so I wanted to get your thoughts on the matter.

I'm, 39, 5'10.5", waist is 32.5(sucked in) to 37 (full extension), longer torso, and I DO have a history of back injuries and am still prone to injury (lumbar) at heavier weights if I'm not careful.

Thanks,

Swami

(Note Dean could have pushed me one direction or the other very easily and gotten a purchase right there on the phone, but he didn't. Great guy)

Buy one of each. They are cheap enough, and you'll find different applications for each one.

Will do.

Until I get the extra cash for the 2nd one, and strictly from an injury injury prevention point of view, any opinion as to which sevrves that end better?

I went with the 3" belt. My reasoning, which may or may not apply to you was:
    1. I'm 5'8" and it just didn't seem "right" that I would be using the same width belt as someone 6'3"
    2. If the 3" belt wasn't wide enough, it's still useable, but just less effective than the 4"er, but certainly better than no belt
    3. If the 4" belt was too wide, it would be unuseable by me.
    4. Some have reported that a 4" belt is hard to use when deadlifting, I was hoping the 3" belt would work for all of the core lifts.
    5. I was OK with the fact that the 3" belt was originally designed for women.

I like my 3" belt from Dean. The craftsmanship is top notch and he and his wife were very nice to deal with. I have never used a 4" belt, so I can't compare to that.

Good luck!

Start with the 4". It will be more generally useful. The 3" may be useful for the pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman View Post
    I went with the 3" belt. My reasoning, which may or may not apply to you was:
    1. I'm 5'8" and it just didn't seem "right" that I would be using the same width belt as someone 6'3"
    2. If the 3" belt wasn't wide enough, it's still useable, but just less effective than the 4"er, but certainly better than no belt
    3. If the 4" belt was too wide, it would be unuseable by me.
    4. Some have reported that a 4" belt is hard to use when deadlifting, I was hoping the 3" belt would work for all of the core lifts.
    5. I was OK with the fact that the 3" belt was originally designed for women.
    These are excellent points. Order accordingly, Swamster.

I'm 5'7 and the 4 inch belt fits me just fine, even for pulls.

Wonderful, Carlos.

I am 5'10", same as you, and my 4" Best Belt fits me perfectly for squats. I also use it for pulls and it is fine, but if I ever have extra money I would purchase a 3" for my pulls.

If squatting is your focus, go for a 4".

starting strength coach development program
    I am 5'6ish on a good day and although I could deadlift in my 4" Best belt it felt a little awkward. I went ahead and ordered the 3" and got it last week. I love it for deadlifting and bent over rows(T-bar and Kroc). I agree that for the quality you get the price is pretty decent. I do not regret spending the money on both belts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast