starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What on earth is T-nation doing?

Default What on earth is T-nation doing?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    June 23, They publish MR's article on how awesome and manly the press is.
    Rip being a coach constantly telling people to squat, constantly.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._your_press_up

Gets rave reviews.

Then, 8 weeks later, Squats are the enemy, and people should do lunges and trap bar deadlifts. "To save their knees and blast their quads"
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._quad_builders

The 160 pound college kids go crazy for it.

When people ask you to write these things for them, is it common for them to later go and write weird stuff right after that almost completely goes against what you've been saying for years?

This is why I don't write for them much. I know they like to run a wide range of shit, but at some point I get irritated that they will just run ANYTHING.

The guy who wrote that article trains with Mike Boyle -- the guy who said a push press is the same as a clean.

Coach, is there any T-nation contributors you recommend reading other than yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by elVarouza View Post
    the guy who said a push press is the same as a clean.
    Really? Can I have a link to this hilarity?

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Coach, is there any T-nation contributors you recommend reading other than yourself?
    Read all of them. But think for yourself while you do.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Really? Can I have a link to this hilarity?
    PM him the link.

The squat is becoming far too popular. I actually had to wait to use the squat rack at my gym because *gasp* someone was actually squatting in it. This has never happened to me before. And I'm outraged. Articles like this should hopefully go a long way to making me have to wait less to get my workout done.

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    A good rule of thumb is to look at the author's picture. If you have to ask yourself, "Does he even lift?" that's a red flag. Also, big biceps/skinny neck combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is why I don't write for them much. I know they like to run a wide range of shit, but at some point I get irritated that they will just run ANYTHING.
    I think you've struck a good balance thus far. You've written enough articles for them that people who might not otherwise visit ss.com get some exposure to your work. Which could lead to visits here, purchasing the book, etc... But not so many articles that you're thought of as "a T-Nation guy" and lumped in with such luminaries as the author of the Knee Friendly Quad Builders article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    The squat is becoming far too popular. I actually had to wait to use the squat rack at my gym because *gasp* someone was actually squatting in it. This has never happened to me before. And I'm outraged. Articles like this should hopefully go a long way to making me have to wait less to get my workout done.
    I see this as an opportunity. I've met several people who I've become friendly with this way. Kind of like wandering about in a foreign country where no one speaks english, then finding an english speaker who happened to grow up in the same town as you did. Seeing someone squat to depth at a commercial gym is so rare, it's an instant point of connection. If they're wearing lifting shoes too, who knows, you may have just met a new friend.

starting strength coach development program
    MikeC, you're right, I should start limping my way over to the power rack, whinging about my busted up knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast