starting strength gym

Thread: Programming around a short illness

Default Programming around a short illness

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello--I remember PPST has a little section on missing sessions due to illness on the LP, but don't remember anything about missed sessions in the context of weekly programming.

I started to come down with something last Wednesday andput off my ID from Thursday to Friday. Session was a struggle, but I went from triples to doubles on the squat to make it a little easier.

I got worse after that, but think I will be able to get back under the bar for Volume Day tomorrow. I did fell "good" enough to Volume Bench Saturday.

Sleep has been bad. I was coughing so hard at night I bruised a rib. But my appetite has been decent and I haven't lost weight.

Assuming I get back under the bar tomorrow for Volume Day, it will be five days since my ID squats.

My gut says to repeat the last week of training. Does that sound about right to you guys?

I'd err on the side of caution.

I like ramping sets on a return from illness. Do the first set at 5-10% below your last healthy VD. Ramp up from there. If you feel like complete shit...just stay at that 5-10% reduced load for sets across.

If someone's returning from a really shitty bout of flu (or something as sucky), the initial set might be a 20% drop

Eta: total voodoo alert: I honestly think the physiology of (stress/recovery/adaptation) is different training through (or at the tail end of illness). I've always had huge breakthroughs following illness (if I actually muster the will to lift cautiously through the illness).
    Last edited by John Hanley; 03-22-2016 at 05:54 PM.

I wonder if that's because you cut way back on other activity and get more rest so your recovery from lifting is improved.