starting strength gym

Thread: Weak clean

Default Weak clean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy,

My power clean is pretty weak compare to my other lifts and it seems I cannot add weight to the bar any more.

Even after private consult working on the technique still I cannot lift more than 175 for a single.

My maxes were squat 425, bench 270 and deadlift 475 for singles on TM at 225 a month ago. I should clean at least my bodyweight. Wrist pain hinders my progress but its no that tragic.

Any suggestion ? Shall I drop it completely and replace it with some other DE pull lift ? My deadlift goes up without any additional volume yet. 1 set in the 1-5 range per week still works.

SLDL/RDL kind of pulls kill my lower back so I am not sure if I have any other option.

Thank you very much.

It has to be a form issue. With a 475 deadlift you ought to be able to clean 175 pretty easily even if its a shitty DeadliftUprightRowReverseCurl.

I guess just drop it and focus on Deads only. If going up then you don't need to add the speed deads.

Thanks Andy. If I drop the cleans what would be a good substitute on ID since I don't like sldl/rdl pulls ? I deadlift on VD. Do you think these light cleans will add any value ?

My pulling schedule was DL on VD, Chins on RD and Cleans on ID.

Thanks again.

No, cleans that light aren't going to do anything for a 475 Deadlift. If you wanna pull twice per week then you can certainly try some lighter deadlifts on volume day and then move your heavy single set deads to intensity day.

I used that pattern you suggest some time ago and helped me braking my deadlift sticking point. 1 set of 5 at 70-80% of ID deadlift single. I will introduce it again then.

If it is not too much asking, for how long would you train heavy deadlift singles on ID ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    No, cleans that light aren't going to do anything for a 475 Deadlift. If you wanna pull twice per week then you can certainly try some lighter deadlifts on volume day and then move your heavy single set deads to intensity day.
    I'm in the same situation.

Are there any guidelines to adding lighter pulling on VD via light DL, or SLDL or RDLs?

I realize the dose required varies by individual and recovery. But what type of set/rep scheme and relative intensity would be a good starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by PetrZampas View Post
    I used that pattern you suggest some time ago and helped me braking my deadlift sticking point. 1 set of 5 at 70-80% of ID deadlift single. I will introduce it again then.

If it is not too much asking, for how long would you train heavy deadlift singles on ID ?
    Not long. Rotate with other rep ranges

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by newbj View Post
    I'm in the same situation.

Are there any guidelines to adding lighter pulling on VD via light DL, or SLDL or RDLs?

I realize the dose required varies by individual and recovery. But what type of set/rep scheme and relative intensity would be a good starting point?
    Probably 2-3 x 5-6.